Payroll AssistantJob ID 3317 Date posted 08/15/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, Chief Financial Office, and the Business Operations Offices. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The Fiscal Services Division currently has a full-time position available in the Payroll Department for a Payroll Assistant. This position will provide the Laboratory with accurate and timely payroll processing through our HRIS system in compliance with all applicable laws and company policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role you will:
- Prepare and process monthly and weekly union and non-union payrolls for 2600+ employees;
- Review and process payroll adjustments, including vacation, sick and other time off;
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of off-cycle checks as needed (e.g., separation, replacement, pay adjustments, etc.);
- Work closely with Human Resources on new hires, terminations, and other employee changes;
- Perform administrative functions, including telephone and window coverage;
- Research and resolve employee inquiries regarding payroll issues or concerns;
- Interface with and supply information to internal and external auditors;
- Ensure all company, federal, state, local and other applicable requirements are met;
- Ensure compliance with internal controls as applicable to the Payroll function within the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some form of payroll processing training, plus four (4) years of experience in substantiative and relevant administrative, or other responsible work, which provides evidence of the particular knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position successfully.
- A bachelor's degree in a business field with coursework or training specifically related to the position requirements may offset qualifying experience on a basis of 2:1, as would an Associate's Degree with a minimum of two (2) years related experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, and Word).
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines while managing time effectively.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner by exercising extreme discretion.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Customer service skills to include listening, patience, and the ability to explain processes and requirements face-to-face, on the phone, and via electronic communications.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A BS Degree in Business, Accounting, or related field.
- PeopleSoft experience a plus.
- Understanding of collective bargaining agreements.
- Knowledge of Laboratory policies.
- Understanding of basic accounting principles.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Requires ability to work at a computer for most of the workday.
- Requires the ability to concentrate on accuracy.
- Requires the ability to spend time on the phone speaking with customers.
- Moderate lifting 15-30 lbs.
- Individual needs to be able to work onsite.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now