Operations EngineerJob ID 2406 Date posted 02/24/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
As an Operations Engineer, you will be a part of this exciting mission by joining the NSLS-II and continuing to build and improve the operational platform on which our research runs.
In this position, you will support the Deputy for Operations and other senior managers of the NSLS-II to develop, implement and improve key operational improvement initiatives in support of operational excellence and new security initiatives. This includes work planning & control, operational discipline, security, export control, and new DOE policies and directives related to security. Specifically, you will:
- Lead NSLS-II teams to develop, implement and improve key operational processes and tools across the NSLS-II.
- Develop, monitor, and analyze key operational process performance indicators and implement actions to bring performance within targets.
- Provide data-driven performance information to senior management for decision-making.
- Communicate and elevate performance issues to management in a timely manner.
- Build cross-department consensus to drive improvement efforts and cultural change in key operational areas.
- Engage with NSLS-II Photon Sciences Program Managers and Accelerator Division Group Leaders to strengthen the implementation of key operational processes.
- Interact with the Lab’s Management System Stewards and Executives, including the Department of Energy Brookhaven Site Office (BHSO) Facility Support Representative regarding the improvement initiatives and related processes.
- Support the implementation of continuous improvement through planning, doing, assessing, and learning and feedback.
- Support senior management in the development of the operations plans in support of NSLS-II operational excellence and the Lab's Contractor Assurance System.
- Leverage the tracking and trending capabilities of Power BI using the Laboratory’s performance databases to develop capabilities and monitor and analyze data at the speed of business.
- Foster a work environment that promotes openness, trust, communication, and teamwork among NSLS-II teams and the Lab’s Management System counterparts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or science discipline or closely related field of study, and at least seven (7) years progressively responsible, directly related work experience.
- Experience implementing and monitoring operational processes.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance.
- Experience communicating issues to management in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
- Experience building consensus and sustained collaboration among key stakeholders, particularly when there are competing interests.
- Ability to manage, facilitate and leverage cross-organizational resources to drive improvement efforts.
- Experience with teambuilding, problem-solving, and the use of analytical tools.
- Demonstrated proficiency of Microsoft Office applications.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced Degree in engineering or science discipline and a minimum of ten (10) years related work experience.
- Formulation and use of innovative approaches to addressing complex problems.
- Knowledge of OPSEC, Standards-Based Management System, process mapping and development of procedures for the involved functional areas, quality assurance, performance management, issues management, and assessments and learning.
- Familiarity with DOE Directives, Standards, and Guides.
- To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now