NOC Network EngineerJob ID 3683 Date posted 03/27/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Network Services’ purview is to provide data communications that are highly available and robust in order to facilitate and support BNL research in the physical, biomedical and environmental sciences as well as in energy technologies and national security. Working closely with our users and other IT organizations, we provide reliable, fast and secure solutions that meet the needs of the many disciplines at the Laboratory. Network Services also provides the foundation underlying the critical services within the BNL campus including phone service, security, safety and monitoring.
The Information Technology Division has an opening for a NOC Network Engineer. This position requires the knowledge in various disciplines within IT Networking. The candidate will provide support in all aspects of Network infrastructure consisting of LAN/WAN, HW & SW, routers, switches, firewalls, management systems, and monitoring systems. This individual will primarily analyze and troubleshoot service requests and issues. Implement Requests for Change and monitor the LAN/WAN devices including traffic and utilization trends. Document and audit cabling configurations. Maintain the UPS infrastructure supporting the network environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage network equipment such as Routers, Switches, Firewalls, and Access Points.
- Configure, Implement, and Support all network components.
- Provide troubleshooting and diagnostic support.
- Analyze network problems and coordinate resolutions.
- Participate in day-to-day Network Operations
- Ensure that the performance and availability of the network infrastructure is maintained.
- Maintain technical documentation of the network environment.
- On-Call for after-hours and weekend support.
- Assist in product evaluation to include network tools, hardware, and software.
- Manage small projects with minimal supervision from start to finish.
- Answer customer calls
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- CCNA or JNCIA, or equivalent certification OR BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in in Computer Science.
- Minimum of zero (0) to one (1) year of relevant job experience.
- Experience with:
- Network equipment such Arista, Juniper, and Cisco
- LAN/WAN technologies and protocols, such as QoS, Spanning-Tree, BGP, and OSPF
- TCP/IP and the OSI Model.
- Firewall, VPN and Remote Access Technologies
- Wireless technologies such as Aruba
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Programming languages such as Ansible, Python, PHP, or MySQL.
- Network management tools.
- Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position
- Valid state drivers’ license and the use of private car
- Ability to obtain and retain DOE L or DOE Q clearance
- Must be willing to:Understand, adhere to, and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of the Lab
- Be "on-call" for after-hours support as needed
- Work extended hours and critical Holidays
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations (Review Job Assessment Form (JAF)):
- Lifting of 30 pounds
- Climb a 6’ ladder
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans;
- Dental Plans;
- Life Insurance;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Retirement Plan;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.