Meteorological Software Developer and Data AnalystJob ID 2831 Date posted 10/04/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Environmental and Climate Sciences Department (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/) at Brookhaven National Laboratory invites applications for a Data Analyst and Software Developer. The successful candidate will join the Cloud Processes Group (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/cloud/) that is recognized for its state-of-the-art observational and modeling studies of the microphysical and dynamical processes that impact the lifecycle of clouds, with the aim of improving their representation in earth system models and increase our ability to understand and project global change.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of meteorological data products to enhance the scientific usability of data (particularly from weather radar) collected by the Department of Energy's Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) user facility (https://www.arm.gov/). The candidate will also assist scientists in analyzing and assessing forecast model output using observations. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop software for evaluation, analysis and visualization of atmospheric science data
- Analyze meteorological data and model output, and interpret results
- Interact with outside collaborators regarding project progress and planning
- Present results at internal and external scientific meetings
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent in meteorology, computer science, physical sciences, or a related discipline
- Minimum three (3) years of full-time relevant experience
- Expertise in high-level programming languages (including one or more of Python, C, IDL)
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX environment
- Working knowledge of fundamentals and best practices of modern software development, including a deep understanding of various languages, technologies, and solutions for front end applications
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Relevant graduate degree
- Knowledge of machine learning practices
- Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
- Initial one year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
- The appointment will be under the direction of Dr. Scott Giangrande
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now