Mechanical Utility EngineerJob ID 2607 Date posted 04/14/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
NSLS-II is a state-of-the-art, medium-energy electron storage ring (3 billion electron-volts) designed to deliver world-leading intensity and brightness, and will produce x-rays more than 10,000 times brighter than the original NSLS. The superlative character and combination of capabilities are expected to have broad impact on a wide range of disciplines and scientific initiatives, including the National Institutes of Health’s structural genomics initiative, DOE’s Genomics:GTL initiative, and the federal nanoscience initiative.
The NSLS-II Mechanical Engineering Group has an opening for Mechanical Utility Engineer (P5/P7) position. The candidate will supply engineering support for the design and maintenance of the mechanical utility systems for the NSLS-II Accelerator Division. The mechanical utility systems include deionized water (DI), processed chilled water, hot water, compressed air, and HVAC systems. The Deionized water and HVAC systems directly control the temperature of the NSLS-II magnet system and have stringent high accuracy requirements for temperature.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering oversight for all aspects of the NSLS-II mechanical utility systems.
- Manage and oversee new system installations from conception through installation and testing.
- Provide detailed designs, specifications, calculations, drawings, and cost estimates for mechanical utility systems.
- Develop plans to start-up, test, and verify that system performance meets the needs of the facility.
- Provide oversight of operating DI water distribution systems, compressed air systems, chilled water systems to maintain designed performance criteria.
- Maintain and implement safety practices and procedures applicable to daily activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or related discipline and at least 3 years of related experience.
- In-depth knowledge of hot water and chilled water hydronic systems, HVAC and compressed air distribution systems.
- Ability to perform design responsibilities for a project from conception to completion.
- Experience performing energy load calculations.
- Experience with HVAC control systems.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD 2D & Inventor 3D modeling or similar for design and layout of equipment, duct and piping systems.
- Experience developing a comprehensive maintenance program for mechanical utility systems.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a diverse group of scientist and technical staff.
- Demonstrated technical writing skills and experience with spreadsheets.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience in one or more of the following:
- Revit 3D design software.
- Allen Bradly or Automated logic control systems.
- Master’s degree or Professional Engineer license.
- Working with large facilities.
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now