Mechanical Utilities TechnicianJob ID 2701 Date posted 06/10/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
NSLS II has an opening for a Mechanical Utilities Technician. The Mechanical Utilities Group is responsible for installation, operation, maintenance, repair of all water systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers, closed loop cooling /air systems, process distribution piping along with, but not limited to magnets, power supplies, RF cavities and other various experimental equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
At least six (6) years of relevant work experience and a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related discipline (or experience equivalency).
Knowledge of the plumbing trade, and relevant work experience including installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of all mechanical process water related systems.
Ability to demonstrate expertise in the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, process piping systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers and deionizers.
Familiarity with alignment and have experience with high tolerance rotating assemblies.
The ability to work accurately from drawings and schematics and interpret technical specifications.
Familiarity with computers and computer-generated drawings.
Effective written and oral communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Wiring and cable termination knowledge.
- Knowledge of NYS cooling tower maintenance and cleaning requirements.
- Knowledge and application of practical principles in specific disciplines such as HVACR.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders, and lift 30 pounds
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now