Mechanical Utilities TechnicianJob ID 2278 Date posted 07/28/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
NSLS II has an opening for a Mechanical Utilities Technician. The Group is responsible for installation, operation, maintenance, repair of all water systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers, closed loop cooling /air systems, prosses distribution piping along with but not limited to magnets, power supplies, RF cavities and other various experimental equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate, repair, maintain, assemble and install all air/water system and associated sub systems in NSLS II.
- Fabricate and modify unique equipment and assemblies.
- Be available for emergency call-ins for all utilities system repairs, trips or system related situations.
- Work independently and lead a group of technicians.
- Work safely on all water systems and maintain the highest standards of safety and adherence to applicable procedures and policies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate’s degree in Mechanical or related Engineering discipline or equivalent technical institute.
- Minimum of six (6) years of demonstrated expertise and extensive knowledge of the plumbing trade, and relevant work experience including maintenance and troubleshooting of all mechanical process water related systems.
- Ability to demonstrate expertise in the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, process piping systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers and deionizers.
- Familiarity with alignment and have experience with high tolerance rotating assemblies.
- The ability to work accurately from drawings and schematics and interpret technical specifications.
- Familiarity with computers and computer-generated drawings.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Wiring and cable termination knowledge.
- Knowledge of NYS cooling tower maintenance and cleaning requirements.
- Knowledge and application of practical principles in specific disciplines such as HVACR.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders, and lift 30 pounds
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now