Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 3602 Date posted 02/08/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
At BNL, the Energy & Photon Sciences (EPS) Directorate is working to solve grand challenges that will create solutions and security for the nation’s energy system. Advances in basic science are the underpinning of transformational discoveries that rely on Brookhaven’s data-driven research, cutting-edge synchrotron science, and leadership in energy science through real-time study of applicable energy materials in working conditions. As part of the capabilities and science focus of the EPS, the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a state-of-the-art 3 GeV electron storage ring. The facility offers scientific and industrial researchers an array of instruments (beamlines) using x-ray, ultraviolet, and infrared light to enable discoveries in clean and affordable energy, high-temperature superconductivity, molecular electronics, and more.
The Photon Science Division of the NSLS-II, within BNL’s Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate, currently has a full-time opportunity for a Mechanical Technician. Under general technical supervision, the successful candidate will perform a wide variety of assignments in support of the scientific mission of the NSLS-II and its user program. Technical skills and techniques will be used to design, develop, fabricate, evaluate, test, operate, maintain or integrate equipment and systems that are in use at the NSLS-II experimental beamlines and laboratories.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assemble, install, commission, repair, maintain and upgrade a variety of beamline systems and experimental equipment. These components range in complexity from simple mechanical supports to complex optical, vacuum and cryo-cooling assemblies and includes equipment in support laboratories.
- Work in coordination with other technical support personnel on specific tasks or projects.
- Assist beamline staff and users with setup and experiments, with emphasis on mounting, operating and dismounting experimental set-ups.
- Supply any tooling or fixtures necessary for the operation of the beamline components and laboratory equipment, maintaining supply and equipment inventories.
- Assist with system calibration, inspection, servicing, debugging, repairs, trips/faults or unplanned beamline system related events, keeping accurate records of all repairs, maintenance and fabrication activities.
- Perform housekeeping, label, store and dispose of hazardous materials and excess equipment appropriately and stay current with all BNL required training.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An Associate's degree in a technical field or equivalent relevant experience, or technical institute graduate with relevant field work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of machine shop practices. Manual dexterity and experience working with hand and power tools for both assembly and disassembly of equipment, as well as with fine work for experimental setup.
- Ability to work from procedures, drawings, user manuals and verbal instructions.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists and engineers.
- Ability to use computers for work-related tasks.
- Good organizational skills needed for organizing equipment, hardware, and documentation.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Experience in one or more of the following):
- Complex assemblies of equipment using specialized tools.
- Experience with using AutoCAD, Inventor, or similar software.
- Knowledge of G codes and experience with CNC programing and setup.
- Experience working with low/high pressure gas systems and vacuum systems.
- Experience with cable termination, cable routing, and rack mount equipment installation.
- Interacting with suppliers of laboratory hardware or infrastructure.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Lifting, moderate 15-30 lbs
- Ability to hear alarms
- Mental sharpness
- Physical coordination and balance
- Arm/hand dexterity
- Vision - good near vision and normal color vision
- Hear and understand speech
- Candidate will be placed at the appropriate level commensurate with breadth and depth of experience.
- Visa sponsorship for this position is not available
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.