Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 3446 Date posted 10/20/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Magnet Division (MD) designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The MD also designs and builds magnets for various other applications and provides magnetic measurement services lab-wide.
The Magnet Division (MD) has openings for mechanical technicians to work on superconducting coil fabrication in support of the High Luminosity Accelerator Upgrade Project (AUP) for the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) at CERN. Working under the supervision of a senior technician, as well as mechanical and electrical engineering staff, you will be expected to become fully proficient in all aspects of coil construction, including winding, curing, reaction, impregnation, inspection and testing. You will also be expected to perform other various tasks as needed on other aspects of the AUP project or other Research & Development projects within MD.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using a high degree of skill, initiative, and judgment, is responsible for the quality and productivity of superconducting coil fabrication:
- Careful assembly and inspection of superconducting coils,
- Attention to and completion of assembly travelers,
- Identification and reporting of construction problems, defects, and any other fabrication issues
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical institute or Associates Degree in a related technical field or experience equivalency
- Four (4) years of related experience:
- Mechanical skills:
- assembly and disassembly of precise electro/mechanical components and assemblies
- familiarity with and skilled in the use of hand tools
- skilled in the use of inspection tools, e.g., micrometer, Vernier caliper, dial indicator, multimeter, etc.
- Mechanical skills:
- Good verbal / written / computer communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and to follow detailed written work procedures and specifications.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Degree in industrial or electro-mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with electrical and mechanical equipment; hydraulics, power supplies, etc.
- Use of machine tools (machinist skills): drilling, tapping, machine lathe, milling machine.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Moderate lifting (up to 30 pounds)
- Ability to climb a ladder
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now