Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 3145 Date posted 05/09/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for a Mechanical Technician in the Beam and Experimental Support Group. This group specializes in cutting materials, primary and secondary machining, drilling, tapping, all hand tools, rigging, plumbing, running hoses, running cables, and clean ups. In this role you will be involved with the building, maintenance, upgrades, and disassembly of experimental detectors, components and equipment for C-AD. Equipment is usually unique and one of a kind. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review designs to fabricate experimental components adhering to proper specifications and tight tolerances
- Determine tool and equipment needs for tasks in various fields (e.g.Plumbing, Machining, Electrical, Rigging, Material Handling)
- Fabricate, assemble/install, and test components to Engineers or Physicists specifications
- Operate, repair, and maintain equipment used to build and monitor safety systems for complex experiments and detectors
- Associate degree in a technical field or equivalent capabilities,
- Two (2) years full time relevant work experience, or a BS in a technical field
- Self-motivated and accountable to complete tasks successfully under minimum supervision
- Understanding of the basics of cutting/machining different materials (ex. speeds and feeds)
- Ability to determine tool and equipment needs to get desired results without causing damage to surrounding components or devices
- Understanding of and having skills with common hand tools (ex. hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.)
- Experience with electric power tools (hand-held drills, magnetic base drills, circular saw, saw-zall, porta-ban, hammer drill, impact wrench)
- Experienced with drilling and tapping operations of assortment of metals
- Available for overtime and call-ins
- Ability to work hands-on with a team or independently to develop and build unique equipment
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with shop tools (milling machine, CNC milling machine, lathe, drill press, table saw, belt sander, vertical band saw, hydraulic press)
- Experience with rigging equipment (overhead cranes, forklifts)
- Experience in plumbing (running pipes or transfer lines, soft & hard solder, hosing)
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Responsible for pollution prevention and waste management
- Ability to work safely following the laboratories rules and policies
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work at heights at or above 5 feet
- Ability to keep work area neat, clean, and organized
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions, work in an industrial environment (including radiation areas)
- Must have valid drivers’ license
- Must have reliable transportation
- Visa sponsorship for this position is not available
- Ability to work shifts
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now