Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 2992 Date posted 01/14/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health
- Work with scientists, engineers and technical team to install, maintain and upgrade mechanical systems.
- Programming and operating CNC lathes and mills and all machine tools
- Successfully complete periodic training and pass testing on BNL environmental, health and safety rules.
- Work from mechanical drawings, schematics and verbal instructions.
- Will be required to be on an emergency call-in list and respond to NSLS operations emergencies during off hours.
- Equivalence of a technical institute or Associates degree in manufacturing/mechanical technology and at least 6 years relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience to produce machined parts by programming, setting up, and operating computer numerical control (CNC) machines including mills and lathes.
- Experience with all aspects of manual mechanical fabrication techniques including; operating lathes, milling machines and drill presses; as well as sheet metal fabrications.
- Experience with software such as AutoCAD Inventor; MasterCam software for milling and turning
- Ability to input data manually at HAAS and/or Centroid CNC control
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have strong computer skills
- Experience with magnets, ultra-high vacuum assembly techniques.
- Knowledge of Metrology and the use of precision inspection tools.
- Knowledge of pipe fitting, tube bending, soldering and brazing.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will receive periodic training for environmental, health and safety rules.
- Ability to lift more than 30lbs on a regular basis.
- Ability to work on ladders and scaffolds
- Ability to qualify as a material handler to operate hoists and perform basic rigging tasks
- Driver’s license required.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
- Position is Employee Referral Award Program (ERAP) eligible.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now