Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 2986 Date posted 01/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
At BNL, the Energy & Photon Sciences (EPS) Directorate is working to solve grand challenges that will create solutions and security for the nation’s energy system. Advances in basic science are the underpinning of transformational discoveries that rely on Brookhaven’s data-driven research, cutting-edge synchrotron science, and leadership in energy science through real-time study of applicable energy materials in working conditions. As part of the capabilities and science focus of the EPS, the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a state-of-the-art 3 GeV electron storage ring. The facility offers scientific and industrial researchers an array of instruments (beamlines) using x-ray, ultraviolet, and infrared light to enable discoveries in clean and affordable energy, high-temperature superconductivity, molecular electronics, and more.
The Photon Science Division of the NSLS-II, within BNL’s Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate, currently has a full-time opportunity for a Mechanical Technician. Under general technical direction, and with considerable latitude for the exercise of initiative and judgment, the successful candidate will perform a wide variety of highly skilled and complex technical assignments in support of the scientific mission of the NSLS-II and its user program. Technical skills and techniques will be used to design, machine, fabricate, evaluate, test, operate, maintain, and integrate equipment and systems that are in use at the NSLS-II R&D Laboratories and experimental beamlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Machine/fabricate complex parts from variety of materials using milling machines, lathes, etc.
- Maintain the R&D machine shop, assure adequate materials and tooling supplies.
- Assemble, install, commission, repair, maintain, and upgrade a variety of experimental equipment.
- Purchase, prepare, and supply tooling or fixtures necessary for operation of the R&D laboratories, maintaining supply and equipment inventories
- Work independently or in coordination with other technical support personnel on specific tasks and projects
- Assist with system calibration, inspection, servicing, debugging, repairs, keeping accurate records of all repairs, maintenance, and fabrication activities taking place in the R&D labs
- Perform housekeeping, labeling, storing, and proper disposal of hazardous materials in the R&D labs; stay current with all BNL required training.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Equivalent of a technical institute or Associate's degree related to engineering techniques and a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience in a technical field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced and complex machining using shop equipment (milling machines, lathes etc.)
- Aptitude to plan, coordinate, and perform complex and difficult professional-level assignments in a broad technical field, under minimum technical direction and with considerable latitude for the consistent exercise of a high degree of initiative and judgment.
- Manual dexterity and experience working with hand and power tools for both assembly and disassembly of equipment, as well as with fine work for experimental setup.
- Ability to work from procedures, drawings, user manuals, and verbal instructions.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists and engineers.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interacting with suppliers of laboratory hardware or infrastructure.
- Working knowledge in installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of electrical, vacuum, plumbing, and gas systems
- Complex assemblies of scientific equipment using specialized tools.
- Low/high pressure gas systems and vacuum operations.
Candidate will be placed at the appropriate level commensurate with breadth and depth of experience.
- Lifting, moderate 15-30 lbs
- Ability to hear alarms
- Mental sharpness
- Physical coordination and balances
- Arm/hand dexterity
- Vision, good near and normal color
- Hear and understand speech alertness
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now