Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 2781 Date posted 08/18/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Superconducting Magnet Division (SMD) designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The SMD also builds magnets for various other applications (e.g., Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage) and provides magnetic measurement services lab-wide.
The Superconducting Magnet Division (SMD) has an opening for a mechanical technician to work on superconducting coil fabrication in support of SMD effort on the High Luminosity Accelerator Upgrade Project (AUP) for the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) at CERN. Reporting to a senior technician, and in collaboration with cognizant mechanical and electrical engineering staff, the candidate will be expected to become fully proficient in all aspects of coil construction, including winding, curing, reaction, impregnation, inspection, and testing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Careful assembly and inspection of superconducting coils
- Attention to and completion of assembly travelers
- Identification and reporting of construction problems, defects, and any other fabrication issues
- Additional and various tasks as needed on other aspects of the AUP project or other R&D projects within SMD
(Selected individual will be placed on an appropriate level commensurate with experience and qualifications.)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent capabilities
- One (1) year of full-time, relevant experience
- Some skills in the use of hand tools and inspection tools, e.g., micrometer, Vernier caliper, dial indicator, multimeter
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings and to follow detailed written work procedures and specifications
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with electrical and mechanical equipment, hydraulics, power supplies
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Technical institute, military, or BOCES training
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Moderate lifting (up to 30 pounds)
- The ability to climb a ladder to work at heights greater than 5 ft.
- A valid US Drivers’ license is required
- Selected individual will be placed on an appropriate level commensurate with experience and qualifications
- US work visa sponsorship for this position is not available
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now