Mechanical Technician- NSLS-II Complex Scattering ProgramJob ID 1960 Date posted 12/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
At BNL, the Energy & Photon Sciences (EPS) Directorate is working to solve grand challenges in energy that will create solutions and security for the nation’s energy system. Advances in basic science are the underpinning of transformational discoveries that rely on Brookhaven’s data-driven research, cutting-edge synchrotron science, and leadership in energy science through real-time study of working conditions in applicable energy materials. As part of the capabilities and science focus of the EPS, the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a state-of-the-art 3 GeV electron storage ring. The facility offers scientific and industrial researchers an array of instruments (beamlines) using x-ray, ultraviolet, and infrared light to enable discoveries in clean and affordable energy, high-temperature superconductivity, molecular electronics, and more.
The Photon Science Division of the NSLS-II, within BNL’s Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate, currently has a full-time opportunity for a Mechanical Technician. Under general technical direction, and with considerable latitude for the exercise of initiative and judgment, the successful candidate will perform a wide variety of highly skilled and complex technical assignments in support of the scientific mission of the NSLS-II and its user program. Technical skills and techniques will be used to design, develop, fabricate, evaluate, test, operate, maintain or integrate equipment and systems that are in use at the NSLS-II experimental beamlines and laboratories.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work independently or in coordination with other technical support personnel to assemble, install, commission, repair, maintain and upgrade a variety of beamline systems and experimental equipment. These components range in complexity from simple mechanical supports to complex optical, vacuum and cyro-cooling assemblies and includes equipment in support laboratories.
• Assist beamline staff and users with setup and experiments, with emphasis on mounting, operating and dismounting sample cells and processing set-ups.
• Purchase, prepare and supply any tooling or fixtures necessary for the operation of the beamline components and laboratory equipment, maintaining supply and equipment inventories.
• Assist with system calibration, inspection, servicing, debugging, repairs, trips/faults or unplanned beamline system related events, keeping accurate records of all repairs, maintenance and fabrication activities.
• Perform housekeeping, label, store and dispose of hazardous materials and excess equipment appropriately and stay current with all BNL required training.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Equivalence of a technical institute or Associate's degree related to engineering techniques and a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in a technical field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic engineering principles and machine shop practices.
- Manual dexterity and experience working with hand and power tools for both assembly and disassembly of equipment, as well as with fine work for experimental setup.
- Proficiency in installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of electrical, vacuum, plumbing and gas systems.
- Ability to work from procedures, drawings, user manuals and verbal instructions.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of scientists and engineers.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience in one or more of the following:
- Synchrotron facilities or particle accelerators incl. mechanical, vacuum, utilities, cryogenics, etc.
- Complex assemblies of scientific equipment using specialized tools.
- Interacting with suppliers of laboratory hardware or infrastructure.
- Electronics and controls, incl. motion and temperature controllers.
- Low/high pressure gas systems and vacuum operations.
- Cable termination, cable routing, and rack mount equipment installation.
Candidate will be placed at the appropriate level commensurate with breadth and depth of experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Lifting, moderate 15-30 lbs
- Ability to hear alarms
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now