Mechanical (HVAC) Engineer/Project ManagerJob ID 3397 Date posted 09/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical BNL plant to provide facilities where world class research can be performed. The MPO team is responsible for leading BNL’s efforts in facilities modernization.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced mechanical engineering professional with project management experience. The individual shall have a minimum of 3 years of HVAC engineering design with project management experience in commercial and institutional building applications. The candidate will assist project managers and senior engineers with mechanical (HVAC) engineering task and will provide general mechanical engineering support for design and construction project.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The selected candidate will be experienced in and responsible for layout and design of ductwork, piping, and air handling equipment; as well as preparation of specifications, detailed cost estimation, and calculations.
- Analyze complex engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions to management/project manager in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Development of detailed risers to provide direction for contractors.
- Perform construction related activities including the review of shop drawing submittals, preparation of Request for Information (RFI) responses.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates, perform calculations, conduct site visits before and during construction to identify issues and recommend field modifications depending on site conditions.
- Provide assistance to project managers overseeing projects by external A/E consultants.
- Engage customers, facility project managers, and contractors as part of work planning procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and at least three (3) years progressive responsible experience in mechanical (HVAC) systems design.
- Experienced in design of hot/cold water, steam, compressed air, HVAC/R, hydronic heating, chilled water, and other process-related systems for industrial, commercial, and laboratory projects.
- Knowledge in heat loss/gain calculations, equipment selection, duct design, piping design, chillers, cooling towers, etc.
- Candidate should be able to evaluate proposed solutions and weight their impact on cost, scheduling of construction, and long-term maintenance.
- Developing equipment pre-purchase design packages with all required performance requirements to make certain equipment is in line with project goals.
- Proficient in design calculation software.
- Preparation of reports and presentations.
- Management of multi-discipline teams.
- On-time and on-budget delivery of projects.
- Must be knowledgeable in the International Mechanical Code, NYS Mechanical Code, SMACNA and ASHRAE standards.
- Perform field investigation tasks (during design and construction phases) for assigned projects.
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills are required.
- Must be proficient in the use of AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An advanced degree (such as Masters’ degree in Mechanical Engineering)
- Professional engineering license in New York State
- Project Management Professional certification is a plus
- Controls System Experience
- Basic use of Revit
- Knowledge of plumbing and/or fire protection systems is a plus
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Any information pertaining to the environment, health or safety requirements for a position that will be considered when evaluating a candidate.
- Essential functions from Job Assessment Form (JAF) such as: lifting of 30 pounds; the ability to run a ½ mile; successfully pass a stress test, climb a ladder or more, etc.
- Valid NYS drivers’ license is required.
- Fully vaccinated (as defined by CDC) for Covid-19
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now