Mechanical EngineerJob ID 2129 Date posted 03/25/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Accelerator Division within C-AD has an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to design and build new experimental equipment, large and small static and dynamic structures, high voltage and high current magnetic and electrostatic devices, RF components, lifting fixtures, and water/air cooled systems. You will work with diverse and international teams on a variety of projects
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge,skills, and experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop components and component systems from initial concept through engineering analysis, detailed 3D modeling and design, developing purchase specification and fabrication drawings, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning
- Managing individual engineering projects and developing project plans including schedules, needed resources, and budgets
- Oversight and coordination of a variety of technical staff for design, fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment in the C-AD shops and facilities
- Must have the ability to work independently and to interact with and report to senior engineering and scientific staff for assignments, guidance, and support
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering
- Experience with creative engineering projects, working hands on with mechanical equipment, and collaborating with a team to develop and build unique equipment
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the design of mechanical equipment and component systems.
- Experience with 3D modeling using Creo, Solid Works and/or AutoCad Inventor
- Project development and management skills
- Experience with ANSYS or equivalent thermal and stress engineering analysis software and generating engineering analysis reports.
- Ability to positively interact and support contractors, vendors, and procurement professionals
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office and MS Excel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field
- Knowledge of and experience with machining practices, welding, piping systems design, fluid flow, and heat transfer
- Experience with high vacuum devices, optical/laser systems, electrical and RF systems, and electro-magnets is a plus
- Familiarity with ASME/ASCE standards, building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements
- Professional Engineering license
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Individual will be required to climb ladders and/or work in Confined Spaces
- Individual will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker and may be required to work in Radiation areas
- Individual will be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights or weekends as needed to support mission critical projects
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now