Mechanical EngineerJob ID 2004 Date posted 01/06/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to provide support for various projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop engineering solutions to support ongoing technical projects
- Design advanced mechanical systems using CAD tools, and produce drawings
- Provide high-level technical service to analyze and troubleshoot complex systems
- Prepare job orders, requisitions, cost estimates
- Lead coordination efforts with other working groups
- Work with division staff to meet the BNL laboratory needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- Minimum three (3) years progressively responsible related work experience is required.
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks)
- Experience with ANSYS workbench simulation software
- Strong computer skills including the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power-point)
- Ability to work with hand tools in a safe and effective manner
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills
- Able to work with a diverse group of people including engineers and scientific personnel
- Must be detail oriented and capable of following strict policies and procedures to ensure hardware and personal protection
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Machine fabrication experience (Drill/Lathe/Mill, etc.)
- Knowledge of material properties for use in UHV systems and Cryo environments
- Experience working in a cleanroom environment where contamination and ESD protocols are strictly enforced.
- Experience with project scheduling software (Microsoft Project or equivalent)
- Must have a valid driver license
- Occasional domestic and/or international travel
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will require radiation training and very occasional work in a radiological controlled area
- Will require the ability to lift 30 lbs., and to stand for an hour
Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now