Mechanical EngineerJob ID 1987 Date posted 12/17/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
BNL's Modernization Project Office's (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical plant of the Lab to provide facilities where world-class research can be performed.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced mechanical engineering professional with project management experience to lead HVAC/R design projects for the Lab.
- Design new or replacement heating, cooling and refrigeration systems, including air handling units, duct distribution, terminal units, pre-heat / re-heat coils, piping distribution, ventilation, exhaust, chillers, cooling towers, ductless single- and multi-zone units, and controls.
- Resolve issues related to air quality, environmental (i.e., mold), temperature stability, humidity control, and energy efficiency.
- Complete HVAC/R-related drawings and heat gain / loss calculations.
- Prepare construction documents including drawings and specifications.
- Prepare detailed project cost estimates.
- Manage procurement for contractor proposals and requisitions.
- Review shop drawings and submittals.
- Perform field investigation tasks (during design and construction phases) for assigned projects.
- Prepare as-built drawings.
- Manage scope, schedule and cost for a portfolio of projects from project initialization to completion.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with coursework focus in HVAC/R.
- 7+ years of relevant HVAC/R engineering design experience in commercial and institutional building applications.
- Project management experience, including leading multi-discipline teams, performing quality control of completed work, and managing budget and project delivery.
- Knowledge in heat loss/gain calculations, equipment selection, and design of HVAC/R systems.
- Familiarity with the AE design process and the development of detailed specifications leading to construction documents.
- Proficient in design calculation software.
- Ensure that designs comply with the Mechanical Code adopted by New York State and applicable SMACNA and ASHRAE standards.
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills.
- Must be able to use AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional Engineering license or Engineer-In-Training status in NY State.
- Proficiency in Revit.
- Experience in design of distribution systems for hot/cold water, steam, process water, chilled water, compressed air, vacuum, cryogenic fluids, specialty laboratory gases, stormwater conveyance and other related systems.
- Experience in water and wastewater treatment systems.
- Experience in mechanical conveyance systems.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now