Mechanical EngineerJob ID 2746 Date posted 08/05/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to work on assignments that will include Project evaluation, estimating, design, modification, specification, scheduling, and the coordination of a variety of technical functions associated with structures, water, and power distribution, environmental control, electromagnets, radiation shielding, and other equipment used to support Experiments at the Collider-Accelerator Department. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering design, evaluation, and analysis for the construction and maintenance of the Accelerator complex facilities at CAD.
- Provide engineering design, evaluation, and analysis for the installation of new facilities and the upgrade of existing facilities with structural modifications, infrastructure improvements and utility systems improvements such as air-conditioning, water cooling, fire protection, & heating systems.
- Develop projects from initial concept, through design, specification, bidding and installation and closeout
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Minimum three (3) years full-time progressively responsible related work experience is required
- Experience in the operation, installation or commissioning of industrial, marine or power systems or engineering experience in mechanical systems design or installation at a large research facility
- Familiar with ASME/ASCE standards, building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements
- Proficient with Auto-CAD, MS Project and MS Office
- Creative engineering, work hands-on with mechanical equipment, and work as a team to develop and build unique equipment
- Excellent written and oral skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3D modeling capability (ProE / Creo)
- Ability to adapt to evolving circumstances, operate successfully in a rigorously regulated environment, and manages multiple competing priorities
- Knowledge of rigging techniques, machining practices, welding, piping systems design and installation
- Ability to positively interact with internal and external customers, contractors, vendors and skilled trades
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to carry weights up to 30 lbs
- Ability to work at heights at or around five feet
- May stand for long periods of time
- The selected candidate will be hired at the level commensurate with their experience
- A valid US Driver’s license is required (verified by a Department of Motor Vehicles report).
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now