Mechanical Engineer/Senior Mechanical EngineerJob ID 2432 Date posted 11/19/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle/heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
Within the Collider-Accelerator Department, the Accelerator Division has openings for Cryogenic-Mechanical Engineer to engineer, create layout and design, and supervise installation and commissioning of cryogenic distribution systems and associated cryogenic equipment at various locations throughout the facility. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop components and component systems from initial concept or from existing designs through engineering analysis, detailed 3D modeling and design or in conjunction with a designer. Develop purchase specifications, conceptual drawings, fabrication drawings, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning
- Engineer and develop designs of cryogenic components inside cryostats, of vacuum jacketed cryogenic piping system and warm piping systems between equipment and piping supports
- Layout cryogenic equipment in the collider tunnel, between tunnel and equipment buildings, and interface with facilities on utilities requirements, space, crane and rigging requirements for maintenance and installation, following lab safety standards and national safety and equipment codes
- Collaborate with technical staff on the mechanical interfaces and cryogenic requirements during the design of Superconducting RF cavity and superconducting magnet cryomodules
- Collaborate with technical staff on cryo equipment interfaces for infrastructure and utilities
- Develop purchase specifications, interface and follow up with vendor/fabricator during vendor manufacturing, travel for design meetings and witness tests
- Travel for design meetings and witness tests
- Present the engineering and design in design reviews with technical staff
- Coordination of a variety of technical staff for fabrication, assembly, testing and installation of equipment in the C-AD shops and facilities
- Must have the ability to work independently and to interact with and report to senior engineering and scientific staff for assignments, guidance, and support
- Assist with writing work planning procedures, hazard analyses and safety reviews
- Supervise technicians during assembly, installation, and commissioning of equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Marine Engineering
- Minimum three (3) years of full time progressively responsible experience in the design of mechanical equipment and component systems
- Mechanical stress analysis of pressure components such as vessels, piping system, and supports.
- Creative engineering, work hands on with mechanical equipment, and working with a team to develop and build unique equipment
- Proficient with 3D modeling using Creo, Solid Works and/or AutoCad Inventor
- Experience with design of cryogenic piping systems, cold boxes, cryostats, and other cryogenic components
- Experience with design and sizing of plant components, such as heat exchangers, pumps, compressor, piping, valves, relief devices
- Knowledge in the area of high vacuum, helium mass spec leak checking, and experience with vacuum equipment
- Knowledge of machining practices, welding, piping and pipe fitting systems
- Experience with materials and materials properties used at cryogenic temperatures
- Experience with heat transfer and thermal analysis for the design of cryostats their components
- Fluid mechanics analysis for components in cryogenic service including sizing and selection for pipelines, control valves, relief devices, phase separators, and vessels
- Proficient with ANSYS or equivalent thermal and stress engineering analysis software
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills and the ability to positively interact and support contractors, vendors, and procurement professionals
- Proficient with MS Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to positively interact and support contractors, vendors, and procurement professionals
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient with piping system stress/flexibility analysis software such CAESER II or similar engineering analysis software
- Engineering analysis in the area of fluid flow and heat transfer
- Experience with engineering for rigging and anchoring of heavy components.
- Familiarity with ASME BPVC VIII and ASME B31.3 Piping Code
- Familiarity with NY state and national building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements
- Project development and management skills
- Professional Engineering or Engineer in Training license
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Individual may be required to climb ladders and/or work in Confined Spaces.
- Individual may be required to work in Oxygen Deficiency Hazard area.
- Individual may be required to work in High Noise environment.
- Individual may be required to work in Static Magnetic fields area greater than 5 Gauss.
- Individual will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker and may be required to work in Radiation areas.
- Individual may be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights or weekends to support mission critical projects.
- Individual may be required to travel to attend vendor meetings, project reviews, conferences, and training
- Valid US Driver’s license
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now