Mechanical DesignerJob ID 1994 Date posted 07/01/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The C-AD has an opening for a Mechanical Designer in the Design and Documentation Group. Under the technical direction of the group leader and the responsible engineer/scientist, the selected candidate will design and provide fabrication drawings for particle accelerators using computer aided design software. Assignments are usually on a project basis, so the candidate must be able to exercise a high degree of initiative and judgement to plan, coordinate, and perform their design efforts
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With engineering support, the successful candidate will design and provide fabrication drawings for components used in particle accelerators such as magnets, power supplies, RF systems, vacuum chambers, facilities drawings.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or engineering field
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience that must include using 3D CAD software designing mechanical components and systems for fabrication
- Must have knowledge of material properties, component choice, manufacturing, installation, and machine shop processes, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Experience with Creo, Inventor and/or Solid Works 3D modeling and design software
- Must have ability to perform mechanical design functions independently with general direction and review by a mechanical engineer or scientist
- Knowledge of material properties, manufacturing/machine shop processes, welding, and dimensioning and tolerances a must
- Must be able to create accurate and detailed 3D system designs as well as mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Must be able to review and check the work efforts of other design personnel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to follow ASME Y14.5, as well as laboratory standards for magnet design, vacuum chamber, welding, fabrication, and assembly
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Individual may be required to climb ladders and/or work in Confined Spaces
- Individual will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker and may be required to work in Radiation areas
- Individual may be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights or weekends to support mission critical projects
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now