Mech (HVAC) Design Engr/Project MgrJob ID 3109 Date posted 04/06/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced mechanical engineering professional with project management experience. The individual shall have a minimum of 10 years of HVAC engineering design with project management experience in commercial and institutional building applications. A B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering is required. The candidate must be familiar with the AE design process and the development of detailed specifications leading to construction documents. Solid time management skills and the ability to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple projects and tasks with a high level of proficiency; acute attention to detail is required. The candidate shall manage scope, schedule and cost for a portfolio of projects.
The selected candidate will be experienced in and responsible for layout and design of ductwork, piping, and air handling equipment; as well as preparation of specifications, detailed cost estimation, and calculations of heat gain/loss. Ideally, the candidate will also be experienced in design of hot/cold water, steam, compressed air, HVAC/R, hydronic heating, chilled water, and other process-related systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and at least seven (7) years progressive responsibility in HVAC engineering design and Project Management.
- Must have Knowledge in heat loss/gain calculations, equipment selection, duct design, piping design, chillers, cooling towers etc
- Proficient in design calculation software.
- Preparation of calculations, reports, specifications, and presentations
- Management of multi-discipline teams
- Quality Control of work completed by staff
- On-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Review of Shop Drawings and Submittals
- Must be knowledgeable in the International Mechanical Code, NYS Mechanical Code, SMACNA and ASHRAE standards.
- Perform field investigation tasks (during design and construction phases) for assigned projects.
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills are required.
- Must be able to use AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- An advanced degree and/or a professional engineering license or Engineer-In-Training status in New York State
- Project Management Professional certification is a plus.
- Proficient in Revit
- Controls System Experience
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand / eye coordination
- Moderate lifting (up to 30 lbs)
- Ability to climb a ladder to work at heights greater than 5 feet.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License is required
- Visa sponsorship wil not be offered for this position
- This is an on-site position eligible for consideration of flexible work arrangement (hybrid telework) at the discretion of the department manager
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.