Mathematician, Researcher and Research ScientistJob ID 2213 Date posted 06/18/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
BNL is a scientific, extreme scale Data Laboratory that supports the data and computational needs of on-site facilities such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS II), the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. In addition, we host the largest data center for the ATLAS experiment at CERN and provide online and offline data services for the Japanese Belle II experiment. This year it was announced that we will host the new Electron Ion Collider, as well as a new Cryo-EM facility that will open later this year. With over 170 PB of archived data BNL hosts one of the top 10 scientific data archives in the world, in 2019 alone we analyzed over 800 PB of scientific data.
As a result, we have a lively, fast-growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation, and use of data at extreme scales and in real-time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis, and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI -https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) provides a laboratory-wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians, and domain scientists to carry out leading-edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science, and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
We have an opening to perform research in applied mathematics. The successful candidate is expected to work closely with other applied mathematicians and researchers at BNL and in the larger community on exciting scientific projects of interest to DOE and other Federal Agencies. Areas of immediate interest include:
- Numerical methods for dynamical systems
- Inverse Problems
- Streaming Data Analysis
- Reduced-order modeling of dynamical systems
- Bayesian inference
- Uncertainty quantification
- Optimal Control
- Optimal Experimental Design
- Mathematical foundations for machine learning
- Monte Carlo and probabilistic methods.
- Develop, implement and execute fundamental and applied research in applied mathematics
- Develop scientific strategies to sustain the applied mathematics program at BNL
- Ensure that BNL’s applied mathematics programs are meeting client needs and that projects are completed successfully on time/budget
- Maintain compliance with Laboratory policies, standards, and procedures as documented in SBMS. Implement operational standards to meet the expectations of the Laboratory Agenda
- Support recruiting initiatives in diversity, fellowships, and university relations. Promote educational outreach programs.
- PhD in Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related fields with strong record of accomplishment in applied mathematics as evidenced by publications in leading peer-reviewed journals.
- At least five (5) years visible leadership experience in a recognized research organization within the DOE or with a mission related to that of the DOE.
- Ability to define and implement research programs in applied mathematics at the national and international level.
- Proven track record in building leading research programs including strategy development, attracting leading researchers, building partnerships, gaining funding, successful delivery and gaining peer recognition.
- Experience in successfully communicating with key stakeholders, clients, program sponsors and internal staff.
- Regarded as a leading researcher in a field of applied mathematics related to computational science incl. high performance computing
- Is currently a principal investigator of a substantial portfolio of research projects related to applied mathematics related to computational science.
- Record in applied mathematics research evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, presentations, and professional recognition.
- Experience in working as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Record of success at securing external funding to support one's work through competitive efforts from federal funding sources.
- Ability to lead and guide inter-disciplinary teams of researchers.
- Effective interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Record of experience mentoring students and postdocs.
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment with researchers from different scientific disciplines.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the Office of Science ASCR Program
- Experience with High Performance Computing
Must submit a statement of research interests
- At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now