Linux Application DeveloperJob ID 2078 Date posted 08/04/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The job is a position in the Physics Department working in the PHENIX group. The Physics Department carries out research in experimental and theoretical Nuclear Physics, experimental and theoretical High Energy Physics, and detector instrumentation that supports those sub-fields.
The sPHENIX experiment, presently under construction, is a major upgrade to the PHENIX detector at RHIC which will begin operation in early 2023. The data acquisition, trigger, and control system software is under development, and requires an experienced application developer who can work with custom hardware and software to support detector operation. The candidate should be an experienced Linux application developer capable of designing, implementing, and maintaining a distributed system of clients and servers with high speed Ethernet networking. The candidate will work with custom hardware developed for the experiment. Familiarity with Linux device drivers and system programming is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work in the sPHENIX Data Acquisition group with sPHENIX engineers and scientists to develop and maintain server applications for data acquisition from sPHENIX electronics and data logging applications.
- Develop and implement distributed control of servers using robust industry software tools.
- Develop software clients that can control and monitor server operation.
- Work with sPHENIX scientists and engineers on tests of sPHENIX experimental apparatus with the software described above.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (required and preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS degree in physics, computer science or a related discipline (or equivalent related experience based on 2:1 (experience:college) years)
- At least three years of full-time, contemporary, directly related experience.
- Proven ability to develop applications in a Linux computing environment in C++ using compilers, debuggers, build tools, and version control systems.
- Familiarity with network protocols and messaging methodologies for control of distributed objects.
- Experience working with computing and custom hardware and software in a research environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with Linux system programming, configuration, and device drivers.
- Experience in developing user interfaces both command line and graphical.
- Facility with Linux system management.
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL.
- Experience with custom interface boards and Linux kernel modules, particularly for PCIe.
- Experience working with scientists and engineers on large science projects.
- Master’s degree in related discipline.
- Will require radiation training and very occasional work in a radiological controlled area
- A limited amount of travel may be required
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now