Licensing SpecialistJob ID 2800 Date posted 09/03/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory's Office of Technology Commercialization and Partnerships (TCP) manages and advances the commercialization of cutting-edge discoveries and technologies by fostering collaborations with industry through licensing and sponsored research. Brookhaven's state-of-the-art facilities are available to industry for research and development in such diverse fields as biology and medicine, chemistry and environmental sciences, physics and material science.
The Office of Technology Commercialization and Partnerships is seeking a Licensing Specialist to join their team. In this role, you will coordinate marketing projects within the Office of Technology Transfer (TT) technology transfer team to build industry awareness of BNL technologies and capabilities.
EssentialDuties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the operations of all marketing programs including developing marketing plans, coordinating initiatives, and evaluating outcomes.
- Assists in triaging invention reports and review of commercial potential of BNL intellectual property.
- Help to identify marketing opportunities for licensing.
- Collaborates and consults with cross-functional teams to achieve marketing project goals, including working with researchers and industry to assess needs. Work closely with all research and other staff to identify, review, protect, market, and deploy new technologies. Prepares marketing reports, fact sheets to be posted on various websites, and analyzes progress towards goals.
- Collaborates with researchers to create better processes for IP management and other functions geared to enhance technology transfer activities.
- Assists with monitoring licenses, tracking diligence and/or milestone requirements and/or payment schedules. Assist in the Technology Maturation, Proof of Concept, SBIR/STTR/TCF/PACT and other early-stage funding programs.
- Other related functions and special projects as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a physical science or engineering with a minimum of 4 years of experience directly related in:
- developing and executing business strategies.
- developing solid business partnerships with the industry.
- participating in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage complex projects and operate with high-level of independence.
- Ability to work with teams via collaboration and influence.
- Strong organizational skills. and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Organize and create effective presentations.
- Clear and concise communication skills and the ability to interact with scientists in different disciplinaries.
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment with attorneys, licensing professionals, potential licenses, and researchers from different scientific disciplines.
- Applicant must be a “U.S. Person” as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- MBA or Ph.D. in a physical science or engineering.
- Considerable knowledge of science and demonstrated ability to implement best practices and monitor trends on new initiatives.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now