Learning & Development SpecialistJob ID 2419 Date posted 11/16/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Human Resources (HR) Directorate, led by the Associate Lab Director for Human Resources (ALD HR)/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), manages all Human Capital Management functions initiatives including, but not limited to, scientific and non-scientific employment, compensation, benefits, employee and labor relations, training and development, inclusion and diversity, occupational medicine, and guest/user/visitor center. The HR Directorate supports a highly diverse, multicultural and international population of employees, guests and users
The Talent Management Team within the Human Resources Directorate has an opening for a Learning & Development Specialist. In this role, you will be developing curriculum for specialist areas across the lab that supports the talent management function. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the design and delivery of the Brookhaven Employee Mentor Program, providing outreach and recruitment of mentors and mentees, helping to develop meaningful mentoring relationships, and supporting the ongoing efforts
- Developing new mentor programs for specialty areas within the Lab (e.g., post docs)
- Creating communication strategies to raise awareness of mentoring and career development opportunities at BNL, working with employee resource groups and other key stakeholders
- Supporting the Talent Management Team to effectively orient new hires and support the new hire onboarding process
- Design and deliver training programs to support mentoring and other career development initiatives (e.g., training for mentors and mentees)
- Supporting and developing curriculum for specialist areas such as, the Administrative Development Program
- Designing and developing online learning using Articulate Storyline
- Planning/facilitating group activities or other opportunities for program engagement based on designed curriculums
- Tracking program metrics and reporting
- Assisting with communications, scheduling and tracking for employee development programs
- Supporting the Manager, Talent Management and Leadership Training Specialists with special programs as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business or related field or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college years).
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience, in areas such as design and delivery of career development programs and/or mentor programs
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong platform, facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact and work with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the organization
- Ability to be flexible and work independently on all required project tasks.
- Ability to use independent judgement and discretion.
- Experience working in a scientific community
- Design and delivery of online learning
- Working in a diverse, multicultural work environment
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now