Leadership Training SpecialistJob ID 1864 Date posted 08/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Human Resources (HR) Directorate, led by the Associate Lab Director for Human Resources (ALD HR)/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), manages all Human Capital Management functions initiatives including, but not limited to, scientific and non-scientific employment, compensation, benefits, employee and labor relations, training and development, inclusion and diversity, occupational medicine, and guest/user/visitor center. The HR Directorate supports a highly diverse, multicultural and international population of employees, guests and users.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Talent Management Group within the Human Resources Directorate has an opening for a Leadership Training Specialist. In this role, you will support the design and delivery of programs that support the talent management function. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assessing organizational training needs
- Designing leadership and general employee training and curricula for both classroom and computer-based courses
- Delivering classroom training related to general employee and supervisory development
- Supporting elements of the annual performance appraisal process, such as communications and serving as a primary point of contact for system questions during the annual review process.
- Supporting the design and delivery of customized organizational development programs (e.g., team building, mentoring)
- Evaluating and using assessment tools for employee development (e.g., 360 assessments)
- Assisting with communications, scheduling and tracking for employee and supervisory development programs
- Tracking training metrics and reporting
- Supporting the Manager, Talent Management with special programs and projects as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Instructional Design, Business or related field.
- Minimum of four years of full-time, contemporary experience designing and delivering training programs
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong platform, facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact and work with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds at all levels of the organization
- Ability to be flexible and work independently on all required project tasks
- Ability to use independent judgement and discretion
Preferred Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with E-learning creation software (e.g., Articulate Storyline)
- Certifications in assessment tools or vendor delivered training programs
- Strong understanding of common Learning Management Systems
Must be able to stand for extended periods while conducting sessions.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file