Labor Relations SpecialistJob ID 3585 Date posted 01/23/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Under supervision of the Labor Relations Manager, the Labor Relations Specialist will perform a full range of professional duties required to support labor relations administration including complex and/ or sensitive activities. Support collective bargaining processes, researches, analyzes and documents union represented complaints, negotiation process and proposed policies. In addition, performs employee disciplinary investigations and provides guidance to other departments within the HR directorate on a variety of compliance matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent management as the Labor Relations representative on issues related to IBEW, SCPSA, and USW bargaining unit employees for assigned departments/client groups.
- Partner with line managers and other stakeholders on issues related to Labor Relations, including investigations and disciplines, Laboratory/HR policies and applicable laws.
- Conduct investigations related to violations of policies or other expectations.
- Represent the Laboratory at third step grievance hearings.
- Prepare cases for arbitration and assist presenting attorney.
- Participate as a member of the bargaining team in labor contract negotiations and preparatory sub-teams.
- Provide training to supervisors in Labor Relations and related topics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial/ Labor Relations or related field, or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience: college) years.
- Minimum of (4) four years related work experience showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a relevant human resources position; additional education in fields specifically related to the experience requirements may offset qualifying experience.
- Experience in grievance handling, arbitration preparation, labor contract negotiations and handling of unemployment compensation issues preferred.
- Knowledge of labor and employment laws, e.g., NLRA, FLSA and FMLA.
- Ability to research, understand and apply Laboratory policies, labor contracts, arbitration awards, memoranda or letters of agreement or understanding and grievance settlements
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships both with management and unions
- Detail orientation and superior analytical skills
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Masters of Industrial and Labor Relations
- Knowledge of current DOE processes and typical contract designs within a federal contractor organization
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.