IT Group LeaderJob ID 1909 Date posted 11/27/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
NSLS-II has an open position for a Group Leader for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT group). This group is responsible for envisioning and setting goals in the information and communications technology used in the facility. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the ICT team within a larger program. The team is focused on the implementation, deployment, and maintenance of ICT systems used in the real time control, data collection and data storage of the facility, which is largely a Linux-based environment. The team contributes to ongoing development and support for various ICT technologies for experiment control and for experimental data handling and processing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively lead and supervise the ICT team.
- Independently design and implement ICT solutions which require in-depth analysis and decision making.
- Select and support ICT standard solutions for both Accelerator and Photon Science Divisions.
- Perform periodic risk assessments and initiate risk control strategies.
- Prepare and distribute regular reports to management.
- Supervise repair and maintenance of all ICT equipment.
- Create project plans and other documentation.
- Maintain engineering expertise and develop knowledge of emerging technologies.
- Respond to operational problems as needed.
- BS Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, or closely related field of study
- At least eight years of relevant professional experience
- Experience as a Linux Sysadmin, and experience of working and development in Linux operating system environments
- Demonstrated ability to manage integration of systems, processes and applications
- In-depth knowledge of computer usage and programming.
- A demonstrated ability to setup software distribution mechanisms
- Practical knowledge of software and hardware engineering practices including testing, documentation, source code management and release procedures
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to effectively lead a technical team.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (one or more of the following):
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, or closely related field of study
- Industry qualifications in a related field such as security, cloud services, project mgt, Linux admin, server admin, storage, etc….
- A demonstrated or practical use of software and hardware engineering practices and procedures
- Experience with laboratory information management systems
- Experience with large IT infrastructure, fast data transfer, or high-performance computing environment.
- Experience with GPFS, NFS, LUSTRE, GLUSTRE or other similar file systems.
- Prior work experience at a National Laboratory facility
Other Information: The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file