Insulation Worker (Temporary)Job ID 3465 Date posted 11/04/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general supervision, performs installation and removal of insulation and protective coverings about piping, ductwork, fixtures, and devices as required. Performs limited removal, cleanup and disposal of asbestos insulation in accordance with applicable environmental control standards pursuant to laws and regulations governing BNL. Will be trained and must be New York State licensed certified asbestos abatement worker, supervisor and inspector.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Requires a High School diploma, GED, or higher.
• Must be able to qualify and maintain qualifications in accordance with New York State asbestos industrial code Rule 56 New York State asbestos licenses supervisor/worker handler and inspector certificates must pass a respirator fit test and pass and maintain all required training related to CC301 insulation and abatement JTA
• Must be able to wear a respirator and work in confined spaces
• Must have basic computer skills
• Must possess a valid NYS driver's license
• Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
• Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
• Must possess written and verbal skills.
• Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders, and similar documents.
• Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
• Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
• Must have had a verifiable “acceptable leave record” in prior employment
• Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
• Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
• Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
• Ability to work in confined spaces
• Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders
• Work outdoors/cold environments
• Work in warm environments
• Moving machinery
• Use of powered and air operate hand-tools
• Use of respirator and other related safety equipment
• Physical coordination, dexterity and balance
• Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and hearing protection
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now