Refrigeration AC EngineerJob ID 1965 Date posted 06/03/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:Under minimum supervision constructs, installs, repairs, maintains and operates refrigeration, air conditioning, ventilating and auxiliary and related equipment. Will perform the same work on air compressors and vacuum pumps whether or not associated with the above equipment. Shift workers assigned to Building 600 acknowledge all Laboratory alarms in the control room and make appropriate notifications
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 6 years total experience, composed of 4 years apprenticeship, plus 2 years’ experience or 6-8 years total experience composed of formal trade school, plus minimum 2 years’ experience or 8 years’ experience (no formal training).
- Must have a strong background working on absorption, reciprocating and centrifugal equipment.
- Must possess EPA Universal Certification.
- Ability to demonstrate brazing techniques.
- Familiarity with reading blueprints and HVAC wiring schematics.
- An understanding of building management systems controls.
- Knowledge of cooling tower maintenance.
- Requires the ability to drive a government vehicle and have a valid Driver’s License.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
- Standing, bending and lifting.
- Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
- Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders.
- Work indoors & outdoors in hot or cold environments.
- Moving machinery.
- Use of powered and hand operated hand-tools.
- Operates fork trucks.
- Physical coordination/dexterity and balance.
- Use of a respirator and other related safety equipment.
- Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoe and hearing protection.
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now