HPC Application DeveloperJob ID 2236 Date posted 07/07/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is a scientific, extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US, New York State, Long Island. We support the data and computational needs of on-site facilities such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS II), the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. In addition we host the largest data center for the ATLAS experiment at CERN, and provide online and offline data services for the Japanese Belle II experiment. With over 170 PB of archived data BNL hosts one of the top 10 scientific data archives in the world, in 2019 alone we analyzed over 800 PB of scientific data.
As a result, we have a lively, fast-growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation, and use of data at extreme scales and in real-time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis, and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI -https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) provides a laboratory-wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians, and domain scientists to carry out leading-edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science, and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
CSI is currently looking for a postdoctoral researcher to join our team. The successful candidate will conduct research and development in performance analysis and improvement of HPC applications on multicore and accelerator systems. We are working to evaluate the behavior of emerging features of OpenMP 5.0 in pre-exascale computing environments. We will expect you to be able to work successfully in a multidisciplinary team including language and compiler experts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Study the challenges of using directive-based approaches for parallel programming in High Performance Computing
- Collaborate with scientific application developers to improve their use of OpenMP to exploit the full potential of high performance computing systems.
- Carry out research and development to create benchmarks that represent key aspects of important DOE scientific applications using the latest OpenMP features
- Evaluate the performance of selected benchmarks that represent important DOE scientific applications using the latest OpenMP features on leading-edge platforms
- Help develop best practices for the use of new OpenMP features on advanced computing systems
- Collaborate with compiler experts to help them improve the implementation of OpenMP
- Promote the research results through scholarly publications and presentations at leading conferences
- Participate in the development of related research proposals
BNL Policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline
- Research background in parallel programming languages or libraries, or performance modeling of parallel applications programming environments
- C / C++ and/or Fortran programming skills and a passion for writing quality code.
- Publication in a refereed, relevant conference/workshop.
- Oral and written communication and teamwork skills.
- Candidates must be willing to travel in order to disseminate results and communicate with other scientists
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of modern computer architecture
- Experience working in multidisciplinary collaboration
- Research experience in High Performance Computing
- Experience using OpenMP and/or OpenACC.
- Experience with accelerators (GPU, Intel Xeon Phi) and high performance computing systems
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule
- Experience with, or knowledge of LLVM/Clang a plus
- During global pandemic this position offers telecommuting options
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now