Fiscal AssistantJob ID 3217 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, Chief Financial Office, and the Business Operations Offices. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The mission of the Fiscal Services Division is to innovatively manage the financial business processes in support of world-class research at Brookhaven National Laboratory. The Fiscal Division provides Payroll, Accounts Payable, General Accounting, Financial reporting and Travel Services support to the Laboratory.
The Fiscal Services Division has an exciting entry-level opportunity in our Travel Services Office which incorporates Expense Reporting, Domestic/Foreign Travel, and Conference Management. In the position of Fiscal Assistant, you will ensure superior customer service to a diverse and international Lab Community, accurate and detail-oriented auditing of travel expenses, and timely and constructive resolution and communication of discrepancies and errors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify that submitted Expense Reports are compliant with BNL policy and, as applicable, federal travel regulations.
- Perform mathematical calculations to ensure the accuracy of costs related to travel expense reporting, including relocation expenses.
- Spot errors and suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending.
- Ensure customer inquiries and issues are researched, addressed timely and accurately, and respond to customer escalations quickly to follow through for a resolution.
- Review and recommend modifications to current systems and procedures.
- Support to the Foreign Travel, Reservations, and Conference Management Offices.
- Perform tasks, as assigned, in support of business operations for the Fiscal Services Division.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in a business field with coursework, or training, specifically related to the position. Requirements may offset qualifying experience on a basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years, as would an Associate’s degree with minimum two (2) years full-time, directly related contemporary experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Customer service skills to include listening, patience, and the ability to explain processes and requirements face-to-face, on the phone, and via electronic communications.
- Problem-solving ability to include research, situational analysis, policy application and interpretation, and communicating solutions or outcomes.
- Ability to work and communicate with a diverse and international population.
- U.S. Citizenship is required to comply with internal regulations.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), U.S. Department of State websites relative to travel regulations.
- Familiarity or working knowledge of PeopleSoft, especially Expense Reporting module experience and Query Manager skills.
- Telework option available.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements including telework/hybrid model;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now