Facility Service CoordinatorJob ID 1980 Date posted 12/20/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
NSLS-II enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis. NSLS-II supports the DOE scientific mission by providing the most advanced tools for discovery class science in condensed matter and materials physics, chemistry, and biology – science that ultimately will enhance national and energy security and help drive abundant, safe, and clean energy technologies. NSLS-II fuels major advances in materials that will enable new energy technologies – such as nano-catalyst-based fuel cells; the widespread, economical use of solar energy; the use of high temperature superconductors in a high capacity and high reliability electric grid; advanced electrical storage systems for transportation and harnessing intermittent renewable energy sources; and the development of the next generation of nuclear power systems.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II Facilities Group has an opening for a Facilities Service Coordinator to ensure that the NSLS-II facilities are maintained in accordance with expectations of workers, managers and the scientific user community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead/assist/prepare work planning and control documents for work conducted under his/her oversight
- Ensure work spaces are maintained and repairs, when needed, are completed expeditiously; Coordinating equipment moves and office relocations
- Support procurement of office/lab furnishings and work with vendors to ensure installation is completed safely and expeditiously
- Manages the NSLS-II vehicle fleet including kubotas and GSA vehicles to ensure timely completion and submittal of vehicle logs and ensures vehicles are maintained as required
- Develop and administer new employee orientation with respect to facility requirements
- Point of contact for facilities related concerns (e.g., water leaks, custodial support) and managing work requests to facilitate timely completion of work
- Maintains the Facilities Task database
- Supports the C-Cure security system including providing and expiring access cards to users, staff and guests, placing service orders for system repairs, providing alternate access to offices locked due to system malfunction
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Technical certification from a recognized technical institute or an Associate’s Degree in a related technical or engineering field.
- A minimum of six years’ experience in a technical discipline (e.g., plumbing, HVAC, electrical), with experience spanning all technical areas.
- The ability to communicate work requirements to technical skilled staff.
- Strong interpersonal and effective oral and written communication skills; a customer focused mind-set with solutions-oriented service.
- Base knowledge of facility operations including electrical, plumbing, HVAC and physical security.
- A working knowledge of office software including the suite of Office products and SharePoint.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in the development of work planning and project coordination documents (e.g., scope of work, project schedules and cost estimating).
- Experienced in all aspects of facilities maintenance, and knowledgeable in the F&O Maximo work order system experience (or other software-based maintenance work order system)
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
Ability to lift moderate loads (30 pounds) and ability to climb fixed and portable ladders
OTHER INFORMATION: (add if applicable)
- NYS Drivers’ license, and ability to be trained in the use of Kubota utility vehicles.
- NOTE: The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate technical grade (T3/T4) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills he or she brings to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
- Employee Referral Award Program (ERAP) Eligible.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now