Facility Project ManagerJob ID 2754 Date posted 08/09/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
This position is eligible for an Employee Referral Award.
The Integrated Facilities Management Division (IFM), within the Facilities and Operations Directorate, seeks a Facilities Project Manager to report directly to the IFM Division Manager. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the day to day maintenance and operations of facilities. Solid customer service, time management skills and the ability to organize, prioritize, and oversee multiple buildings and their associated assets with a high level of proficiency; acute attention to detail is required.
This position encompasses several responsibilities, which include:
- Develop and maintain a list identifying a point of contact (i.e., Local Facility Point of Contact) with occupants/tenants for each of the buildings
- Develop and maintain relationships with their building occupants of assigned buildings, and champion the response to facility related requests.
- Regularly meet with key points of contact within the assigned buildings.
- Perform facility walkthroughs on a regular basis, based on needs of the individual facilities.
- Keep the IFM Manager up to date on any issues which could have adverse impacts to the facility, personnel, the work being performed within the building, or BNL as a whole.
- Identify planned changes in facility use and engage the IFM engineer to evaluate impact on building systems and planned future use. These changes include but are not limited to change in space designation (i.e. converting offices), addition / removal of scientific equipment, change in occupancies, change in work schedule, etc.
- Participate in staff meetings as necessary. Provide weekly feedback as required to communicate conditions to lab management.
- Act as the job/project lead/manager and point of contact for all work (including contractor/vendor work) performed within the facilities. This shall include the identification, scoping, screening and overall work oversight for selected jobs within their buildings.
- Serve as the primary contact for emergency work orders within their facilities.
- Coordinates and informs the Facility Operations Center (FOC) Preventive Maintenance (PM) Group for all equipment changes and new installations.
- Support tenants in maintaining expected ES&H Housekeeping standards for BNL facilities.
- Identify, monitor, and follow up on the correction of facility deficiencies or maintenance needs.
- Support lab wide energy reduction strategies as applicable.
- Coordinate with Emergency Preparedness Program for complete compliance in respective buildings.
- Serve as a contact person for the Emergency Services.
- Participate in building assessments and inspections to support the mission of the lab.
- Ensure that the operation of the facility is in a manner that is compliant with lab regulations and best serves the needs of the tenants that use the facility.
- Review and provide feedback on requests for facility modifications.
- Utilize an engineering-centric approach in maintaining or modifying assigned facility responsibilities.
- Review lessons learned and ensures similar conditions do not exist in the areas under purview.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or Technical area and a minimum of Seven (7) years relevant Facilities and Operations experience.
- Significant, broad working knowledge of facility systems operation, and maintenance, with ability to employ a diagnostic approach
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, one-line electrical diagrams, P&I (Piping & Installation) drawings, architectural and mechanical drawings
- Experience in planning, coordinating, and overseeing projects
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills (Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Three (3) years of relevant facilities and operations, construction or commissioning experience.
- In-depth working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of facility Mechanical / Electrical / Plumbing / Envelope / Low Voltage Systems
- Professional certification / training from a recognized facilities industry program (i.e. IFMA, BOMI, etc)
- Experience with preventative maintenance management software
- Experience coordinating and interfacing with bargaining unit personnel
- Familiarity with the International building codes, OSHA, and NFPA standards
All employees are expected to work safely. Each employee has environment, safety, and health, responsibilities. The employee is required to participate in achieving compliance in our ES&H policies including, but not limited to, emergency preparedness and response, efficiently servicing and maintaining a variety of process systems equipment and overall building infrastructure. Occasional travel may be required to attend training classes, special meetings, conferences, or events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now