Facilities Complex EngineerJob ID 2628 Date posted 08/04/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate's mission isto support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure; to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Integrated Facility Management (IFM) Division, is responsible to proactively and efficiently manage, maintain, and prepare the Laboratory’s infrastructure for cutting-edge science now and into the future. IFM Manages 350+ buildings, including our newest world-class scientific machines: the 1-million sq. ft. National Synchrotron Light Source-II; the Center for Functional Nanomaterial; and the 2-mile circumference Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC).
Our operations and maintenance activities are performed in a manner to ensure they are always safe, reliable, efficient, green and mission-ready.
The Integrated Facilities Management Division (IFM), within the Facilities and Operations Directorate, seeks a Facility Complex Engineer to report directly to the IFM Division Manager. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the AE design process and the maintenance and operations of facilities. Solid time management skills and the ability to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple projects and tasks with a high level of proficiency; acute attention to detail is required.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant experience, knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the engineering authority for all technical issues related to the buildings within the complex and any work performed on safety-related (i.e., code-governed) structures, systems and components (SSCs).
- Provide technical support for maintenance operations involving the installation of new equipment, modification of existing equipment, and repair and maintenance of all facility and infrastructure support systems.
- Coordinate and manage the planning/execution of small-medium sized facility related projects utilizing non-BNL vendors and/or BNL trades.
- Serve as an engineering liaison for projects / work performed in assigned facilities.
- Ensure modifications to existing facilities related equipment and new construction are technically reviewed for compliance with the applicable codes and environment, safety and health requirements.
- Ensure that facilities are kept in compliance with relevant building, equipment and safety codes.
- Manage the configuration of facilities within the complex. Ensure that facilities are appropriately engineered, maintained and documented.
- Assist in developing annual work plans that support the Laboratory Strategic Facilities Plan and Laboratory Agenda.
- Consult with Facilities and Operations Chief Engineer and engineering subject matter experts and code authorities having jurisdiction.
- Participate in reviewing and executing safety procedures, conduct operations in a safe and conscientious manner following safety rules, procedures, and actively participating in safety programs, such as confined space, lock-out/tag-out, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, or Marine engineering preferred) and a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant facilities, operations or equivalent experience
- Significant, broad working knowledge of facility systems design, operation, and maintenance, with ability to employ a diagnostic approach to issue resolution, and ensure systems are operating and maintained to design configuration/parameters
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, one-line electrical diagrams, P&I (Piping & Installation) drawings, architectural and mechanical drawings
- Experience in planning, coordinating, and overseeing small -medium sized projects
- Experience reviewing shop drawings and submittals
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills (Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of facility mechanical and controls systems
- Advanced degree and/or Professional Engineering license
- Additional recognized industry certifications (CEM, CCP, LEED AP, PMP)
- Experience with the commissioning and acceptance of building systems
- Experience with preventative maintenance management software
- Basic use of AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches
- Experience with chemical treatment and/or filtration systems
- Experience coordinating and interfacing with bargaining unit personnel
- Experience with Building Automation Systems (BAS) and machinery controls
- Experience working with contractors and union personnel and collective bargaining agreements
- Preparation of calculations, reports, specifications, contract documents, and presentations
- Familiarity with the International building codes, OSHA, and NFPA standards
Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate position level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to enter confined spaces
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 30 feet.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment
All employees are expected to work safely. Each employee has environment, safety, and health, responsibilities. The employee is required to participate in achieving compliance in our ES&H policies including, but not limited to, emergency preparedness and response, efficiently servicing and maintaining a variety of process systems equipment and overall building infrastructure. Occasional travel may be required to attend training classes, special meetings, conferences, or events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now