F&O Electrical SupervisorJob ID 2681 Date posted 05/24/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate’s mission is to support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the Laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure, to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Energy & Utilities (EU) Division operates and maintains BNL's:
- Electric Transmission & Distribution System
- Central Steam Facility
- Central Chilled Water Facility
- Potable Water Treatment Facility
- Wastewater Treatment Facility
- Site Fire Alarm Systems
- Building Electrical Systems
- Site Energy Management Control System (EMCS)
- Energy Procurement
- Energy Metering Systems
These operation and maintenance activities are performed in a manner to ensure they are always safe, reliable, efficient, green and mission ready. The EU Division oversees BNL's energy management programs including sustainability, conservation and obtaining economical electric power and fuel supplies for BNL.
The Energy & Utilities Division, within the Facilities and Operations Directorate, has an opportunity to fill the position of Electrician Supervisor, which is anchored at building 452 and reports directly to the Electrical General Supervisor. The Electrician Supervisor is a first-line supervisor responsible for the operations and maintenance of all building and plant electrical systems on site operating at 600v and under.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises, directs, assigns, and coordinates work of the electricians, including work assignments and scheduling of staff.
- Supervises the repair or maintenance of equipment in a safe and conscientious manner following safety rules, procedures, and actively participating in safety programs, such as confined space, lock-out/tag-out, etc.
- Inspects facilities and recommends action. Responsible for planning and implementing an electrical maintenance and repair program.
- Plans and lays out work, estimates materials, costs, and staffing requirements.
- Plan and perform work in accordance with departmental goals, procedures, and trade standards including the National Electrical Code, NFPA70E, and OSHA standards.
- Maintains records and prepares reports of activity, events, and employee attendance. Signs and approves daily and weekly timecards of the electricians.
- Processes all work orders via the Maximo work order system, including printing, assigning, reviewing, and completing work orders in a timely fashion.
- Coordinates work schedules and repairs with customers and other required BNL craft trades.
- Responds and/or directs staff to respond to all emergencies, alarms, and unusual conditions related to equipment and services. In the event of emergency situations such as equipment malfunction or power outage, takes appropriate action to prevent damage or notifies responsible supervisor or Facility Project Manager as required.
- May supervise service and maintenance contractors to ensure that work is performed in accordance with contract specifications.
- Approves invoices for payment.
- Acts as a Primary Authorized Employee to control, document and maintain complex LOTOs.
- Provides and documents electrical pre-job briefings, identifies worksite hazards.
- Hosts daily meetings to review work assignments, provide safety briefings, discuss departmental announcements, etc.
- Monitors and adjusts code driven daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual planned maintenance on equipment located throughout the site.
- Maintains a high level of housekeeping, inventory, and maintenance of tools and equipment in the shop areas and participates in Tier 1 inspections.
- Monitors employee training and attendance records.
- Takes ownership of equipment assets such as vehicles, radios, computers, test equipment, office equipment, etc.
- Ensures electrical installations are compliant with current electrical codes.
- Provides technical assistance to electricians.
- Ensures that electric shop is kept in a clean, orderly, and safe condition.
- Will serve as a back-up to the tower line crew supervisor
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field.
- Considerable technical and job-relevant training, and ten (10) years related experience in a broad technical field which includes demonstrated technical leadership in a supervisory capacity.
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English.
- Ability to read and understand electrical wiring diagrams.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s license.
- Understanding of low voltage electrical power and control systems
- Must have working knowledge of computers and software applications i.e., Microsoft suite, Maximo.
- Experience with supervising and working in a collective bargaining/union environment, i.e., grievance handling and arbitrations.
- NFPA 70 (2017) – National Electrical Code®
- NFPA70E-(2015) – Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience and familiarity with the following:
- Building Codes of New York State
- NFPA 70B - Recommended Practice for Electrical Equipment Maintenance
- OSHA 1910.269 - Electric power generation, transmission, and distribution
- BNL’s collective bargaining agreement with IBEW 2230.
- Holder of a County of Suffolk Master Electrician License
Environmental, Safety, and Health, Considerations:
- Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 20 feet
- May need to enter areas with static magnetic fields or ODH areas
- Work outdoors/cold environments
- Domestic travel may be required on occasion for training purposes
- Use of private car may be required at certain times
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now