ESHQ ManagerJob ID 2194 Date posted 06/09/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department's (C-AD) ESSHQ Division has an opening for a ESHQ Manager/Deputy to ESSHQ Division Head.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is a full-time environmental protection, safety, health, security and quality (ESSHQ) Deputy Division Head for Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) who will develop and maintain ESSHQ programs for accelerator facility operations and research. The Deputy ESSHQ Division Head will report to the C-AD Associate Chair for ESSHQ /ESSHQ Division Head and will help meet accelerator facility goals through development and maintenance of C-AD policies, procedures, plans, and established C-AD ESSHQ operations programs and policies. The Deputy ESSHQ Division Head will also hold the position of C-AD ESH Manager. This position as ESHQ Manager will indirectly report to ESH Directorate ALD.
The C-AD ESH Manager, Deputyy to ESSHQ division head ESSHQ will manage a technical organization related to ESSHQ, accompanied by proven success in management within an accelerator facility or similar S&T machine. ESH Manager/Deputyy to ESSHQ division head ESSHQ will be respnsible for the areas of safety analysis, industrial safety, electrical safety, industrial hygiene, safety engineering, pressure safety, cryogenic safety, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation safety, radiological protection, hazard identification, configuration management and control, hazardous material handling, work planning and control.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in safety, radiation protection, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry, or accelerator physics
- A minimum of 10 years contemporary and progressive safety and health experience in positions of increasing responsibility, including experience managing a technical organization responsible for these programs
- Writing, speaking and problem-solving skills are required
- Must be technically proficient in the areas of safety analysis, industrial safety, electrical safety, industrial hygiene, safety engineering, pressure safety, cryogenic safety, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation safety, radiological protection, hazard identification, configuration management and control, hazardous material handling, work planning and control
- Extensive knowledge and experience working within the DOE regulatory system of rules is highly desirable
- Excellent technical, leadership, interpersonal, management, communication, data analysis and decision-making skills and proven ability and successes in:
- Proactively seeking and executing creative solutions
- Providing presentations (oral, written, visual)
- Motivating staff and leading change
- A distinguished career in the field of safety, accompanied by proven success in management within an accelerator facility
- The ability to interact effectively with senior management and possess a high level of confidence
- Experience in investigations and causal analysis of occupational illnesses, injuries, accidents, occurrences, and significant exposures in compliance with DOE and other agency requirements
- A strong customer service orientation and ability to negotiate and partner effectively with line management, DOE, regulators, Users, workers and the public.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Outlook, PowerPoint, word processing/spreadsheet development and utilization, and database management
- Experience within DOE or regulatory agencies, as well as, private industry
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master's degree.
- Practical knowledge in accelerator facility operations
- Knowledgeable and working experience with the Accelerator Safety Order implementation
- Experience in radiological calculations
- Experience with ladder logic or PLC programs
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now