Environmental Compliance RepresentativeJob ID 2725 Date posted 07/12/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
EPD has an opening for an Environmental Compliance Representative (ECR) in the ECG. The primary responsibilities for this position will be to work under the direction of the ECR Supervisor as a field-deployed service representative primarily for the Nuclear & Particle Physics Directorate but also to other organizations as needed. This role provides senior-level in-house technical support to the assigned organizations to ensure compliance with laws, requirements, and BNL policy.
Under the direction of ECR Supervisor:
- Provide primary assistance to the Nuclear & Particle Physics Directorate and the Instrumentation Division;
- Participates in work planning and engineering design review activities in assigned organizations to identify and address environmental compliance concerns and identify controls to prevent accidents, spills, noncompliances and other environmental problems;
- Reviews and/or develops Standard Operating Procedures, Process Assessment Forms and other documents as needed to assure customer compliance with laws, requirements, and BNL policy;
- Serves as customer first point-of-contact for all environmental compliance and sustainability issues, involving EPD Subject Matter Expertise as necessary;
- Assists in developing waste disposal pathways;
- Identifies potential legacy waste issues assisting with laboratory or space clean-out projects as needed.
- Identifies sustainability opportunities including pollution prevention, waste reduction, energy savings, environmentally preferable purchasing opportunities and promotes integration into customer projects and facilities.
- Participates in ESH inspections and as an assessor for compliance or systems assessments.
- Support maintenance of the line organization’s ISO 14001 systems by facilitating the incorporation of institutional EMS priorities into customer priorities;
- Assist in monitoring and measuring key environmental performance characteristics including hands-on operations of complex monitoring equipment.
- Works with SMEs to interpret results of chemical or radiological analytical data and provides recommendations to customer and EPD management;
- Participate on the EPD Spill Team as a responder assuming responsibility for release assessment, regulatory reporting, and aid in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Participate with internal and external ISO 14001 EMS assessments and assist the line organizations in the performance of compliance audits and self-assessment to assure that environmental issues are addressed by qualified personnel.
- Champion pollution prevention and other sustainability concepts to line organizations in coordination with the Site Pollution Prevention Coordinator.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Sciences or related field.
- A minimum of three years progressively responsible related work experience.
- Experience with one or more environmental compliance programs (e.g. CWA, CAA, NEPA, RCRA, pollution prevention or sustainability, cultural resources).
- Familiarity with the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System standard and the ability to explain how the concepts apply to Laboratory operations.
- ISO 14001 EMS Internal Auditor with experience.
- Experience building relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders/customers from across the Laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to independently perform duties.
- Experience with Spill Response.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Broad understanding of federal and state environmental regulations.
- Specific background in RCRA and/or radioactive waste management.
- Chemical Engineering background or other chemical/radiological background.
- Ability to read and interpret chemical and/or radiological analytical reports.
- Experienced in writing technical reports on environmental issues.
- Experience conducting internal/external systems assessments.
- Experience maintaining an externally certified ISO 14001 Environmental Management System or similar standard (ISO 9001, ISO45001).
- Familiarity with Peoplesoft Financials and processing requisitions.
- Review of design plans and specifications for environmental and sustainability concerns.
- 8 Hour HAZWOPER certification.
Successful candidate will be placed at the P-5 or P-7 level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, education and skills.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now