Energy Project EngineerJob ID 2493 Date posted 02/24/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate's mission isto support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure; to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Energy & Utilities (EU) Division operates and maintains BNL’s:
- Electric Transmission & Distribution System;
- Central Steam Facility;
- Central Chilled Water Facility;
- Potable Water Treatment Facility;
- Wastewater Treatment Facility;
- Site Fire Alarm Systems;
- Building Electrical Systems;
- Site Energy Management Control System (EMCS);
- Energy procurement and Energy Metering Systems
The Energy Utilities Division, within the Facilities and Operations Directorate has an opportunity to fill the position of an Energy Project Engineer. This position will report to the Manager of Energy Management and Utilities Engineering.
- Conceive and develop cost-effective energy conservation projects.
- Assist with the scheduling and procurement of energy (electricity, natural gas, oil, renewable).
- Monitor and report on BNL site utility systems and use (electric, steam, chilled water, natural gas, water, wastewater).
- Monitor and report on utility and energy regulatory issues from organizations such as FERC, NY Public Service Commission, NYSERDA, and others.
- Assist with the management of BNL’s extensive internal utility grade energy metering systems for electricity, chilled water, steam, natural gas and potable water.
- Act as the BNL liaison for outside utility services.
- Help manage and implement demand-side management programs for electricity and natural gas.
- Assist with the day-to-day monitoring and reporting for a large and robust site-wide Building Automation System (BAS).
- Provide engineering support for the operation of BNL’s utility systems (electric distribution, chilled water, steam, potable water, wastewater).
- Assist managing an existing Utility Energy Services Contract (UESC) and help develop additional UESC type efforts.
- Work with BNL operating and scientific staff to develop and implement creative energy conservation projects, monitoring and reporting systems, a site micro-grid, energy storage systems, new community control schemes, and other related initiatives.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Facilities, or Marine engineering and a minimum of three (3) years of broad facilities and operations experience.
- Understanding of building mechanical and/or electrical system design and construction.
- Substantial experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated experience with building HVAC systems and implementation of energy conservation measures.
- Experience with electric and or natural gas utility rate structures.
- Experience with energy metering systems.
- Excellent teamwork, effective written and oral communication skills are required; must be able to analyze data, write technical reports, and develop work packages.
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s license.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, mechanical, underground utility maps, and P&ID drawings.
- Ability to use AutoCAD to produce design drawings, modify drawings, and create as-built drawings.
- Experience with Automated Logic Controls (ALC) systems, operation, programming.
- Experience with Phoenix Laboratory control systems.
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of centralized chilled water plants, steam plants, water supply and treatment, and sewage treatment plants.
- Experience with Rockwell Automation ControlLogix PLC systems and software.
- Experience with specific vendor electric, steam, chilled water metering systems.
- Itron MV-90 software.
- Wonderware software applications and ability to create graphics and reporting.
- Familiarity with the NYISO and energy markets in New York State.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Access Database applications.
- Engineer-In-Training or Professional Engineer status in New York State.
- Certified Energy Manager
Environmental, Safety, and Health, Considerations:
- · Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 30 lbs.
- · Ability to enter confined spaces
- · Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 10 feet.
- · Use of Personal Protective Equipment
- · Work outdoors/cold environments or indoors/hot environments
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now