Emergency Management SpecialistJob ID 1858 Date posted 09/04/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Laboratory Protection Division provides emergency services and security for protecting people, property, and national security, providing a safe and secure environment for employees, the public, and the environment.
The Office of Emergency Management, within the Laboratory Division, provides BNL with a comprehensive and integrated emergency management system that coordinates the resources to protect lives, property and the environment through mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery from natural and man-made hazards that may impact BNL.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for training personnel by developing, delivering, evaluating, and tracking required training to a varied and diverse laboratory audience, including senior management.
- Conduct, facilitate and lead training presentations, focusing primarily on emergency operations and related subjects.
- Develop emergency response training and determine instructional methods that are best suited for the audience and effectiveness; i.e. hands on or multimedia
- Develop multimedia training aids, including handbooks and Power Point presentations.
- Prepare, review, and update emergency and disaster plans, policies, and procedures.
- Work as part of a team to assure that the Emergency Operations Center is operationally ready, to specifically include the areas relating to response personnel training, warning, communications, maps and displays, and weather monitoring.
- Participate in exercises to test emergency plans and the response capability of the emergency management system, first responders, internal and external partners.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing, with all levels of management, employees, guests, the Department of Energy, and other state, local, and federal regulatory agencies.
- Maintain plans and procedures ensuring compliance to all associated DOE Orders and guidance publications.
- Assist with emergency planning; including the development, maintenance, and updates of all plans.
- Serve as a member of the Emergency Response Organization.
- Conduct and participate in all BNL Drills and Exercises including coordinating, scheduling, and evaluation.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of emergency preparedness plans, policies, systems, and procedures and make recommendations for improvements.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of 10 years of progressively increased responsibilities with related work experience in DOE, Emergency Management, Emergency Response, or a related field.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Excellent working knowledge of computer systems, databases, spreadsheet management, and Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated experience in emergency management practices, as well as advanced knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS).
- Demonstrated operational experience within an Emergency Operations Center and/or as a member of an emergency response team.
- Demonstrated experience in plan and policy development.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting program surveys and assessments.
- Experience in developing training courses, exercises, and after-action reports.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- A working knowledge of DOE requirements.
- Completion of ICS 100, 200, 700 and 800 courses.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements
- This position is subject to 24 hour on-call in the event of any emergency and may require irregular work hours.
- Candidate must be able to respond to BNL within one hour of notification.
- This position is subject to travel.
Relocation and housing expenses are not authorized for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file