Electronics TechnicianJob ID 2598 Date posted 04/15/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
NSLS-II is a state-of-the-art, medium-energy electron storage ring (3 billion electron-volts) designed to deliver world-leading intensity and brightness, and will produce x-rays more than 10,000 times brighter than the original NSLS. The superlative character and combination of capabilities are expected to have broad impact on a wide range of disciplines and scientific initiatives, including the National Institutes of Health’s structural genomics initiative, DOE’s Genomics:GTL initiative, and the federal nanoscience initiative.
NSLS-II Diagnostics and Instrumentation Group has an opening for a Technical Associate (T5) position. Reporting to the diagnostics group leader, the candidate will perform duties of a technician for the maintenance, upgrade, and testing, of diagnostics sub-systems in support of NSLS-II accelerator operations. This position will require close interaction with technicians, engineers and scientific staff. A main task will be to maintain the Beam Position Monitor (BPM) system, as well as providing support for various Diagnostics sub-systems, including spare parts inventory control, critical to accelerator operations, and will require ability to troubleshoot and identify modes of failure and mitigate corrective action. Tasking will also include provision of technical support for development and special projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support for all aspects of accelerator beam position monitors and other beam diagnostics instrumentation.
- Proficient with schematics, mechanical assembly drawings.
- Experience in component-level troubleshooting and diagnosis of electronics systems
- Experience using PADS PCB layout, PADS Logic and dxDesigner schematic capture, OrCAD capture, p-Spice A/D, LabView, Visio, as well as autodesk products.
- Work planning in preparation for accelerator maintenance and shut-down cycles
- Maintain and implement safety practices and procedures applicable to daily activities
- AAS or technical institute degree in Electrical Technology or related field.
- 8 years' experience with fabrication, assembly, wiring, testing complex electrical systems
- Strong troubleshooting skills in digital and analog circuits
- Use of test and measurement equipment, including oscilloscope, network, spectrum and logic analyzers, signal generators, AWG
- Must be able to work from schematics, diagrams, written procedures, spreadsheets, controls interface documents
- Experience with solder and re-work techniques for through-hole and SMD components for high density printed circuit board assemblies.
- Proficient with processing procurements and special orders
- Experience processing test records and inspection reports
- Ability to develop sub-system test strategies and system readiness procedures
- Experience with detector-based systems and accelerator applications
- Knowledge of PLC based sub-systems applications
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now