Electronics TechnicianJob ID 3164 Date posted 06/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator Department has an opening for an Electronical Technician within the Controls Hardware Group. This position will learn to work on analog and digital VME control systems. The control systems communicate with network interfaces within the collider. The selected candidate will repair, troubleshoot, construct, install and test all components of the controls system. This role will conduct work in the field installing systems, cables and fibers inside and outside of the collider. As the individual in this role gains more experience and understanding of the lab’s systems and equipment they will be able to eventually work on more complicated systems.This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot digital and analog systems down to component level
- Installation of systems, cables, and fiber optics
- Analyzing control system problems and troublehooting issues to deliver efficient solutions
- Support the development and construction of prototype electronics
- Repair surface mount circuit boards
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field
- At least four (4) years of full time relevant work experience
- Working knowledge of analog and digital logic circuits, soldering skills and familiarity with electronic test equipment
- Ability to read and interpret schematic diagrams
- Must be available to work some overtime during nonscheduled hours to respond to C-AD operations as required
- Computer Skills with Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with repair on surface mount PCBs
- Experience with PLC programming
- Experience with wire and cable termination, cable routing, and rack mount equipment installation
- Essential functions for this position; arm/hand dexterity, climb low to moderate heights, lift (up to) 30 lbs, good vision, mental sharpness, and alertness
- Ability to work in a noisy environment with proper PPE
- The ability to work with basic hand tools
- Visa sponsorship for this position is not available
- Valid Driver’s license
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now