Electronics TechnicianJob ID 2015 Date posted 01/06/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for an Electronics Technician to provide support to our High-Density Interconnect lab (HDI) and Electronics Assembly (EA) areas. This position plays an essential role supporting the work of the Instrumentation Division and BNL. The HDI lab provides a variety of design and interconnect services for a broad range of technical projects including semiconductor radiation detection and custom application specific integrated circuits (ASICs). The EA lab provides assembly and rework for prototype electronic designs which are typically based on surface mount technology (SMT).
This position provides the opportunity to apply your existing electronics knowledge while developing new skills and capabilities which will enhance your career and the Instrumentation Division team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With general technical direction, perform a wide variety of highly skilled technical assignments in support of scientific projects
- Regularly communicate with scientists, engineers and technicians to determine work requirements
- Consistently produce precise and accurate work
- May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support assigned to a specific project
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Understanding of electronic circuits and schematics
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to consistently produce precise and accurate work
- Familiarity with SMT assembly techniques
- Familiarity with automated assembly equipment
- Hand soldering, wiring and cable assembly experience
- Hand tool proficiency
- Computer proficiency
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Effective communication skills
- Self-motivated and work well under minimal supervision
- Strong motivation to learn and apply new capabilities
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with wire bonding and/or bump bonding
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) Experience
- Experience with PCB design/layout
- Experience in Ball Grid Array (BGA) mounting and rework
- Experience with reflow oven’s and pick and place equipment
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to perform heavy lifting (over 30 lbs.)
- Must have good sight and hand dexterity for precision work with small components and circuits
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and years of relevant experience.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now