Electronics Technician (BNL ERAP Position)Job ID 1434 Date posted 09/20/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for research programs at BNL and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. The Division’s research efforts also have a significant impact on programs elsewhere in the world that rely on advanced radiation detectors and their associated readout electronics and data acquisition systems.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for an Electronics Technician to provide support to our High Density Interconnect lab (HDI) and Electronics Assembly (EA) areas. The ideal candidate will have familiarilty with basic electronics, and the willingness to learn and apply new capabilities. The HDI lab provides a variety of design and interconnect services for a broad range of technical projects including semiconductor radiation detection and custom application specific integrated circuits (ASICs ). The EA lab provides assembly and rework for prototype electronic designs which are typically based on surface mount technology (SMT).
This position provides the opportunity to apply your existing electronics knowledge while developing new skills and capabilities which will enhance your career and the Instrumentation Division team. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and years of relevant experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under general supervision will perform a variety of non-routine technical tasks
- Follow existing procedures and work to develop new techniques
- Regularly communicate with scientists, engineers, and technicians
- Consistantly produce precise and accurate work
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Associate’s degree in a related technical field or technical institute certificate with some relevant work experience
- Basic understanding of electronic circuits and schematics
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Computer proficiency
- Hand tool proficiency
- Good problem-solving ability
- Effective communication skills
- Strong motivation to learn and apply new capabilities
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) experience
- Experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design and/or layout
- Experience with wire bonding and/or bump bonding
- Familiarity with automated assembly equipment
- Familiarity with SMT assembly techniques
- Bachelor’s degree in a related technical field
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to perform heavy lifting (over 30 lbs.).
- Must have good sight and hand dexterity for precision work with small components and circuits
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor