Electronics Specialist - Experienced (BNL ERAP Position)Job ID 1456 Date posted 09/20/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for research programs at BNL and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. The Division’s research efforts also have a significant impact on programs elsewhere in the world that rely on advanced radiation detectors and their associated readout electronics and data acquisition.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for an experienced Electronics Assembly Specialist to provide support to our High Density Interconnect (HDI) and Electronics Assembly (EA) areas. This position plays an essential role supporting the work of the Instrumentation Division and BNL. The ideal candidate will have expereince and expertise in a full range of electronics assembly techniques and the willingness to continue to learn and apply new capabilities which will support the goals of the division and the laboratory. The HDI lab provides a variety of interconnect services including wire bonding and bump bonding to a broad range of technical projects. The EA lab provides assembly and rework for prototype electronic designs which are based on surface mount technology (SMT).
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With general technical direction, perform a wide variety of highly skilled technical assignments in support of scientific projects
- Regularly communicate with scientists, engineers and technicians to determine work requirements
- Consistently produce precise and accurate work
- May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support assigned to a specific project
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Associate’s degree or technical institute certificate in a related scientific or engineering field
- At least four years of relevant work experience
- Understanding of electronic circuits and schematics
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to consistently produce precise and accurate work
- Familiarity with SMT assembly techniques
- Familiarity with automated assembly equipment
- Hand soldering, wiring and cable assembly experience
- Hand tool proficiency
- Computer proficiency
- Good problem solving abilities
- Effective communication skills
- Self-motivated and work well under minimal supervision
- Strong motivation to learn and apply new capabilities
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with wire bonding and/or bump bonding
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) Experience
- Experience with PCB design/layout
- Experience in Ball Grid Array (BGA) mounting and rework
- Experience with reflow oven’s and pick and place equipment
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to perform heavy lifting (over 30 lbs.)
- Must have good sight and hand dexterity for precision work with small components and circuits
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor