Electronic TechnicianJob ID 3122 Date posted 04/18/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Superconducting Magnet Division (SMD) designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The SMD also builds magnets for various other applications (e.g., Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage) and provides magnetic measurement services lab-wide.
The Superconducting Magnet Division has an opening for an experienced Electronic Technician skilled in electronic diagnostics and electronic modular assembly. In this role, you will conduct diagnosis of electronic equipment and control systems utilizing technical programs such as LabView (will have the opportunity to be trained in LabView and other AUTOCAD tools). You will work as part of a team and have a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general technical direction,
- Assemble electronic sub-systems from assembly drawings and circuit diagrams
- Repair and fault diagnosis of electronic sub-systems and high current magnet power supplies
- Operate electronic measurement equipment, power supplies and small specialized systems
- Stock and maintain inventory of spare parts
(Selected individual will be placed on an appropriate level commensurate with experience and qualifications.)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate degree or technical institute certificate in a related field or equivalency
- A least four (4) years of full-time relevant work experience
- Basic knowledge of analog and digital circuits, AC and DC power systems
- Some experience using electronic equipment, such as oscilloscope, signal generator, multimeters
- Ability to read electrical circuit diagrams and assembly drawings
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint)
- Electronic system assembly skills, such as soldering, wiring, enclosure design
- Clear and concise communication skills
- Ability to work varied shifts, if necessary
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic understanding of closed loop control systems
- Basic understanding of fundamentals of PLC (programmable logic controllers)
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work at heights up to 5 feet
- Ability to discern color coded cables and other equipment
- A valid US Drivers’ license is required
- Selected individual will be placed on an appropriate level commensurate with experience and qualifications
- US work visa sponsorship for this position is not available
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now