Electronic Technician (Experienced/Career Level)Job ID 1645 Date posted 03/06/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Superconducting Magnet Division (SMD) designs, builds, and tests superconducting magnets for use in particle accelerators world-wide. The SMD also builds magnets for various other applications (e.g., Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage) and provides magnetic measurement services lab-wide.
The Superconducting Magnet Division has openings for experienced Electronic Technicians. The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate grade level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assemble electronic sub-systems from assembly drawings and circuit diagrams.
- Repair and fault diagnosis of electronic sub-systems and high current magnet power supplies
- Operate electronic measurement equipment, power supplies and small specialized systems
- Stock and maintain inventory of spare parts
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Associate degree or technical institute certificate in a related field and six (6) years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of analog and digital circuits
- Knowledge of AC and DC power systems
- Knowledge of using electronic equipment, such as oscilloscope, signal generator, multimeters,
- Ability to read electrical circuit diagrams and assembly drawings
- Basic computer operating skills
- Electronic system assembly skills, such as soldering, wiring, enclosure design, etc.
- Good communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to operate and tune closed loop control systems
- Understand fundamentals of PLC (programmable logic controllers) and programming language such as LabView, PLC ladder logic etc.
- Ability to process data using MS Excel worksheets and write small reports using MS Word and PowerPoint
- Able and willing to work varied shifts
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Essential functions from Job Assessment Form (JAF) such as: arm/hand dexterity; climb low to moderate heights; lift 15-30 lbs; good vision; function in cool temperature environments; etc.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor