Electronic/Radio Frequency TechnicianJob ID 3266 Date posted 07/05/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
NSLS-II RF group designs, fabricates and maintains multiple Radio Frequency (RF) systems including 500MHz and 3GHz klystrons, inductive output tubes, a 300 kW solid state amplifier, switching power supplies. The group also assembles and operates superconducting RF cavities, low level analog and RF circuits and a liquid helium cryogenic plant.
This position is for an electronics technician. The individual must demonstrate expertise in the fabrication, troubleshooting and operations of electronics systems. Must be able to troubleshoot complex systems to diagnosis and repair. Working with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technicians the successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining Radio Frequency transmitters, similar to high power commercial broadcast systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general technical direction:
- Populate printed circuit boards, assemble, and troubleshoot low-level radio frequency high speed analog/digital electronic sub-systems from assembly drawings and circuit diagrams
- Diagnose and repair of electronic/RF systems and sub-systems
- Operate electronic measurement equipment, power supplies hand and power tools
- Keep maintenance log, and stock/maintain inventory of spare parts
- Monitor system parameters
- Perform equipment maintenance and housekeeping
- Respond to Emergency Call-ins outside of normal working hours
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires an associate degree in a technical field or equivalent relevant experience, or technical institute graduate with relevant field work experience.
- Strong background in electronic theory and systems
- Ability to read and understand complex drawings/schematics.
- Electrical/Electronics troubleshooting to the subsystem and component level
- Proficient electronics assembly skills and knowledge of board assembly practices
- Strong Computer skills with applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong organization and documentation skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with radio frequency systems
- Strong safety ethic and knowledge of safe work practices in high power systems
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- Electro-mechanical systems
- High pressure pneumatic or cryogenic system
- Printed Circuit Board layout experience
Candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on breadth and depth of knowledge
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:Lifting of 30pounds, continuous walking / standing, climb a ladder and work at heights up to 30 feet
- Ability to speak, hear and understand speech
- Good vision and hand dexterity
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now