Electronic EngineerJob ID 1794 Date posted 06/17/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Physics Department is to be involved in research using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). The STAR Group in the Physics Department at BNL contributes to the overall STAR Experiment. The STAR collaboration constructs and operates experimental apparatus for the STAR experiment located at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) and coordinates the production of scientific results using this apparatus. The STAR group works with collaborators from around the world to share science data and shape the scientific program.
The Physics Department has an opening for an Electronic Engineer to provide electronic engineering and management of the technical staff for STAR Operations. The selected candidate will plan, design, develop, and use new or improved engineering techniques or equipment, and accepted proven techniques for the solution and completion of technical research projects. The individual will direct and oversee the work of technical staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, and analyze high speed analog and digital electronics
- Design of FPGA / CPLD based logic including functional and timing
- Communicate effectively with scientists and staff outside of BNL
- Develop new electronics for upgrades to the STAR Experiment
- Provide budgetary cost analysis and performance feedback for annual operations needs and project requirements.
- Direct and oversee the work of the technical staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience
- Expertise in design analysis tools and laboratory measurement techniques
- Familiar with OrCad Capture, PADS Power PCB, CAM 350, and AutoCAD design tools
- Experience with MS Project in developing long-term project schedules that reflect tasks, durations, resources and cost scope.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to develop effective technical procedures
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- This position requires occasional moderate lifting (less than 30lbs), climbing or work at heights above 5’, confined space, use of powered hand tools, protracted or irregular hours.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor